Skip to main content

Would You Rather . . .

"Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matt. 6:20-21

I love music.  I love old hymns.  I love the new contemporary praise songs.  At one time, you could have found me singing pop songs from the 90's or twangy country songs to the top of my lungs!  I love quiet instrumental music as well as big band music.  I just love good music! 

One of America's best Gospel singers finally got to go home to be with the Lord yesterday after a hundred and four years on this earth, the majority of them spent belting out hymns for masses of crowds all over the world.  George Beverly Shea traveled with Billy Graham to his numerous crusades and presented the message of the Gospel beautifully and distinctly through song.

He's probably most well known for his rich, baritone voice singing "How Great Thou Art" at the crusades.  As much as I love that hymn, one of my favorites that he not only sang, but composed the music for is "I'd Rather Have Jesus."

Although he didn't write the lyrics, they are powerful and deserve reflecting on:

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand


Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.


Whenever we've sung this song in church in the past, my mind always wanders to Job.  You know Job.  The man who lost practically everything he had, including his family, friends, and wealth, yet his faith in God never wavered.  I realize that the story of Job occurred long before the time of Jesus, but had he lived during the time of Jesus, I'm sure his reaction to his circumstances would have been the same.

Job could have bought into the theories of his friends that there had to be some long, lost sin in his life that would be to blame for the travesties that he had encountered.  He could have fallen into such despair after the wealth he had amassed was stripped from him.  He could have lost his faith after the deaths of his children. 

However, I think Job reasoned in his heart that his love and trust in God was greater than riches, houses, lands, or anything else the world could afford him.  He would rather have a relationship with the one true God than denounce his faith and have the approval of his friends.

Could you be a modern day Job?

If your wealth and children were taken from you, would you be truly content with just having Jesus?

If you were afflicted with painful sores like Job, or maybe with today's affliction of cancer, would you still keep your faith and trust in God?

Let's play a quick little game of "Would You Rather?".  Truly contemplate your answers.
  • Would you rather live in poverty and have a relationship with Jesus or be afforded the luxuries of the world, yet not have a relationship with Christ?
  • Would you rather have a job or position of honor (king, president, princess) without Christ or be a lowly servant with Him?
  • Would you rather be led by God's will for your life or be led by what the world has to offer you?
Remember, the wealth of the world is temporal.  Your relationship with Christ is eternal.  There is nothing that you can amass here on this earth that is going to go with you to Heaven.  The one thing you can be sure WILL go with you are all of the souls that you have impacted for the cause of Christ while you were here. 

Ask yourself this one last question:

Would you rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...