Skip to main content

Find Your Voice

"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."  1 Peter 3:15b

Perhaps it's a southern expression, but whenever a newborn baby begins to make those sweet 'coo-ing' sounds, you'll often hear someone say, "They've found their voice!"  Now, if you're a parent, you know for a fact that they found their voice long before that by the ear piercing cries they can sometimes bellow out!  However, I suppose the expression is used to point out that the baby has learned to make happy noises with their voice, which will one day turn into words, which turn into sentences and questions.  And then one day, you're longing for those quiet coos as opposed to the barrage of questions that parents many times are faced with!

Well, our dog has recently "found his voice."  For the first twelve years of our dog's very boring life, he rarely made a peep.  He was the most low-maintenance dog you could have asked for . . . until now!  He has "found his voice" and he barks almost incessantly at times.  It is quite the strangest thing to see such a dramatic change in his demeanor.

When it comes to my personal nature, I'm not as talkative as some people, but I'm not what you would consider to be a shy person.  Unfortunately, there are definite times whenever I "lose my voice."  There are plenty of times whenever I speak when I should be silent, but there are also plenty of times whenever I'm silent and should have spoken.  This unfortunate truth played out recently in a local ice cream shop.

Our family had left church and gathered with some extended family at a popular ice cream chain for some treats and fellowship.  The restaurant was extremely busy that night, as many other church-goers must have had the same craving for ice cream as we did!  However, in the midst of the obvious church crowd, there was one young man who stood out.  I ended up right beside him as we waited for our orders to be brought to us.  As I'm standing slightly behind him, I casually read the back of his t-shirt.  Then I read it again . . . and again a third time.  His shirt read:

"YOUR GOD CAN'T SAVE YOU".

I couldn't believe it!  I was obviously standing beside a living, breathing atheist.  All of my family had already taken a seat in the back of the restaurant, so I couldn't pass the buck to my husband to strike up a conversation with this gentleman.  It was all on me.  And what did I do? 

Did I engage him in a beautiful conversation that led to his wayward soul to Jesus?

Did I offer to pray for him?

Did I even make eye contact with him?

No, no, and no.

I lost my voice.

I said nothing.

Do you want to hear all of my excuses . . . because they're really good!
  1. The area we were standing in was crowded and noisy and starting a conversation like that would be way too difficult in that location.
  2. He was a young marine who would probably be more open to a conversation with a man.
  3. I might stumble over my words because I've never witnessed to an atheist before.
I could come up with a list of excuses a mile long, but the truth of the matter is that I missed an opportunity to impart some of Jesus' love with someone who obviously desperately needed it.  Despite the fear of ridicule or awkwardness, I should have said something.

Have you ever lost your voice? 

Have you missed an opportunity to speak up for Jesus?

Have you forfeited the chance to share the Gospel with someone who needed it?

If you have . . . join the crowd!  I ashamedly tell you that story because I truly believe that God places us in situations like that to see what our response will be.  If I've missed an opportunity, then I feel certain that perhaps you have, too.

We live in such a dark world that is living everyday without the presence of a Savior in their lives.  We like to stay in our little church bubble and surround ourselves with people who look like us, talk like us, and believe like we believe.  Unfortunately, by doing that, we're never able to interact with the people who need what we have.

Also, if we never interact with lost people, we're never sharpening our witnessing tools.  We weren't placed on this earth to receive the blessing of salvation and then never share that blessing with someone else.  We've been commissioned by Christ Himself to be an active part of making disciples out of the lost souls around us. 

Peter commands us in our focal verse to be ready.  Be prepared.  Whether we're directly questioned about our faith, or whether we meet someone who is oblivious to our faith, we have to be ready to share the hope that we have through Christ with them.

I hope you're able to find your voice the next time you get the opportunity to share Christ with someone.  Don't do what I did and let the opportunity pass by and then have to humbly repent for it later.  Perhaps you will stop and pray right now and ask God to place someone in your path that needs to hear about the reason for the hope you have.  

Will you choose to find your voice for Jesus today?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin