Skip to main content

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.  The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.  There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy. 

(Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine.)

I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath.

We mask up to present a façade.

A watered-down version of the true us.

A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence. 

We’re all guilty. 

One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is someone who frequently took his mask off to show us his inner struggles.  He was raw and unfiltered as he questioned the reason for his suffering and the attacks that were coming at him (Psalm 64).  He cried out in desperation, revealing the inner state of his emotional health (Psalm 142).  He illuminated his humanity when speaking of his figurative drowning from his flood of tears (Psalm 69).

King David. My man. I’m so thankful that David (as well as other psalmists in Scripture) got real with us and showed us that it’s ok to be transparent – and let’s face it, sometimes transparency is not pretty.



Let me remove the mask and reveal the real me, with real struggles, real doubt, and real fear. 

While people applaud my bravery and faith since Camron’s initial cancer diagnosis five years ago, and now since his recent relapse, there are times when it seems impossible to be the good little Christian girl and take every thought captive, fix my eyes, and all of the other Christian-ese pieces of advice that we throw out during times of uncertainty. There are many days when the fear is louder than the faith.  While believing wholeheartedly in the sovereignty of an Almighty God, I find myself praying that His divine will doesn’t include an abbreviated life for my son, as I’ve seen up close and personally what that kind of grief looks like for a mother.   

I hate cancer. I hate the panic that the mere mention of the word evokes in people. I hate that my 17-year-old son has to spend what should be some of the best days of his life in the hospital.  I hate that the memories he’ll have of his upcoming senior year of high school are likely to be of hospital stays, isolation, and a treatment path that remains a mystery to us for a few more weeks.

I hate to think of what basketball season will be like for him.  Not because he’s the star player, but because he’s the biggest fan of every boy on the team, keeping meticulous track of every move they make, every shot they put up, and every opponent they need to be on the lookout for.  God gifted him with a mind for numbers, and basketball stats is his way of using his God-given talent in a way that honors God, encourages his team, and supports his school. (Being real: This was the hardest paragraph to write.)

Cancer 2.0 (I don’t like the word “relapse”) has stirred some hard questions in my spirit.  Questions like:

Why do we have to face this again, God?

Why did you let him get ever so close to achieving emotional healing from the sudden loss of his lifelong friend to now reminding him of his very own immortality?

Will I one day be able to identify and empathize with the countless women who have buried a child?

It feels good to breathe clean, crisp air from unmasked honesty.  I think David knew exactly what this release felt like because you frequently see his psalms teeter between confident faith and cries of desperation.  He weaves defeat and distress with exuberant, confident worship. That’s my life!  

I know the Truth.

Then I get overwhelmed from my current circumstances and bury the Truth.

Then I’m reminded that Truth brings freedom, and I rip the mask off and am able to breathe fresh, clean air again.



God alone is my source of Truth.  His Word reminds me of where I need to plant my mind when I'm not breathing so well.  I choose to remember His goodness, His incomparable faithfulness, and His unexplainable love towards His kids.  I feel fear, but when the mask is off, I choose to starve the fear and feed my faith. I must remove the mask to feed myself and breathe clearly again. So, when I do, I fill up on Truth. I ingest Truth like this:

“Rest in God alone, my soul,
For my hope comes from Him.” – Psalm 62:5

“But as for me, God’s presence is my good.
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
So I can tell about all You do.” – Psalm 73:28

“We wait for Yahweh;
He is our help and shield.
For our hearts rejoice in Him
Because we trust in His holy name.
May Your faithful love rest on us, Yahweh,
for we put our hope in you.” – Psalm 33: 20-22


Feast on Truth, fear is replaced with faith. 

Breathe in Truth, desperation morphs into worship. 

So join me in ripping your mask off. Trust me, it will feel good to breathe again.

Thank you for your ongoing prayers for Camron.  We are trusting our precious boy to our Sovereign God.  







Comments

  1. I hate this road that your family is having to travel down again. My heart goes out to all of you. Once again, I am praying for a supernatural recovery for Cameron & Yaweh to continue to surround each one of you with His peace & the strength that only He can give each & every day❤️ Theresa Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Staci, This reminds me of Jonny Diaz's song "Breathe". Reality is a horrendous struggle especially when you have already been knocked breathless! You and Jodi will do what you have to do because of LOVE! Faith can be hard to hold onto during the best of times but when facing the unknown...it can easily fly away! YOUR LOVE of GOD and each other and your precious family will stand strong no matter the outcome! LOVE ❤️��❤️��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, Staci! Mark and I stand in firm belief of Camron’s complete healing, in Jesus’ name. When I began my battle with breast cancer, a strong, then 9th grader, shared with me his battle and victory. Camron gave me strength and encouragement that I will be forever grateful for. He is an amazing young man and a true example of God’s mighty warriors. ❤️ Mone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story makes my heart happy. You both are warriors. Thank you Mone.

      Delete
  4. Wow. First of all more more more! I love your writing voice! It’s like I can hear you talking.
    Second , solid rock TRUTH.
    Third, keep writing Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salt,
    Truth, trust and terrifying are all emotions that we all are feeling for your family. We are trusting that our Father in Heaven is hearing all of our prayers and is making preparations right here on earth for a miracle. Miracles are still happening right here today right before our very own eyes. It’s okay to ask God the hard questions and expect an answer because His word says that He is Omnipresent. He’s with us everywhere we go and He’s listening to us. He loves us because we are His children. Truth we must be true to God’s a word and His plan. The most important thing I heard today was that we must all “pick up our shield �� of Faith”. Picking up our shield ��, we are acting on our faith in God. We have to stand shoulder to shoulder with our feet firmly planted prepared for battle and making intercessions for Cameron and his home team of warriors. Believing with our whole heart �� that this battle has already been defeated in Jesus Name. With all that said, take off your mask ��, breathe in the victory that’s coming your way. Know you have a team of angels working on your behalf in the Heavenly realm for Cameron’s victory here on earth.
    Love ya,
    Peppa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Trying to hold onto that shield. ♥️

      Delete
  6. Great message!! It does get "real" and we have to get real with it! I am blessed by your "naked truth". Encouraged by Mone's word of encouragement from Camron himself!! God is not finished with him yet!! He has lots more encouraging left to do!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your transparency and faith are incredible! As I read this my heart breaks, yet my spirit is filled by your words describing who God is and the hope His presence is bringing to you and your family during this time. One of my fight songs: https://youtu.be/vx6mfAgHDsY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am praying for Camron, you, and all of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As so many have stated before, I hate that you and your family are facing this again. Your writing of the Truth is wonderful and I applaud you to be so open with your feelings. So many hide behind that "proverbial" mask!!! I will continue to remember Cameron and all of you and will lift you in prayer to our Sovereign God Almighty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many people praying for your family and especially Camron. May God’s will be done. We love y’all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci, Jesus too questioned God in His suffering, " about 3 in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, My God My God, why have You forsaken Me." Naked before all the world too see. He didn't hide behind that mask either. His cry, loud. Father, can You hear me, where are you. Of course, The Father was working, behind the scenes. For the greater glory.
    I believe that God perfers a unmasked heart. A heart that cries out, 'where are You God'? And although we ask why, we can say, when our grip is firmer and with soaring confidence, like Job, tho He slay me, yet shall I live.
    Job 38:1 then the Lord spoke...out of the storm.
    God speaks to us right in the storm. Asking God to speak to your mama's heart now. Bringing calm even in the midst of the storm.
    Words of encouragement are hard to find in the middle of a storm, sometimes all we can do is hold on and wait for the clearing. But the clearing will come. Hold to the anchor may God's peace overwhelm you and Cameron. May God's peace rest on Jody and Savannah as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin