Skip to main content

An Eternal Hot Light

My close friends and family know what a Krispy Kreme Hot Light does for me.  Everyone has their guilty pleasure that they can't resist and mine is a hot doughnut!  There is nothing like watching the very doughnut that you are going to devour swim its way through the pool of oil and then under the beautiful waterfall of sugary glaze.  It makes me happy right now just thinking about it!

Well, since my sweet husband has learned that we brake for ALL (and I mean A-L-L) Krispy Kreme Hot Lights, there was no question that we would be making an impromptu stop along the interstate when we recently read the most beautiful billboard ever made.  Are you ready?  The billboard read:

"Hot Light on 24 Hours a Day . . . Next Exit"

Oh my goodness! 

An eternal Hot Light! 

This Hot Light had everlasting life . . . OK, I know that's going a little far, but never before had I seen such a wonderful phenomenon!  The only thing more beautiful than the Hot Light itself is when that perfectly round indulgence hits your tongue and melts in your mouth.  What a wonderful experience!

As I thought about how silly it is to feel such excitement over an earthly pleasure like hot doughnuts, I couldn't help but think about that one eternal Light that will have much more of a profound effect on me one day.  The trivialness of the red neon lights at a Krispy Kreme will truly mean nothing to me one day when I'm in the presence of a Holy and Almighty God.

I don't know about you, but the idea of actually getting to see God leaves me spellbound.  I long for that day when I get to see the radiance of His presence.  From what Scripture tells us, we won't need light in Heaven because He is the Light. 
 
"The city does not need the sun or the moon to to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."  Revelation 21:23

As wonderful as this earth is and as thankful as I am for the abundance of blessings that God has richly poured out on me, I am not content here.  This temporary home is merely a staging ground for Heaven.  For every moment that seems to be amazing here, Heaven has an immeasurable and unfathomable amount of amazing moments waiting for us.

Don't get me wrong, while I'm here, I won't be idly biding my time.  As I choose to serve and worship God here on earth, I'm merely getting warmed up for what I'll be doing in Heaven! 

So, whereas I typically never know when the "Hot Light Now" sign will be illuminated at a donut shop, I have a sure thing promised to me in eternity!  The promise of Heaven for every believer has a greater impact on me than any frivolous thing that could be afforded to me here on this Earth.

Do you feel confident in your promise of Heaven?

Do you know without any doubts that you will see the Radiance of God in Heaven one day?

Have you shared the promise of Heaven with anyone and everyone who hasn't accepted God's free gift of salvation?

Remember . . . don't get too comfy here on earth . . .  you're just passing through! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin