Skip to main content

Words of Life in Times of Tragedy

"The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked."  Prov. 10:11

Once again, our nation was brought to its knees by a senseless act of violence.  Never do you hear the word "prayer" used in greater proportions than after such an event as we saw yesterday with the bombings at the Boston Marathon.  My Facebook and Twitter feeds were filled with promises of prayer for the city and for those directly affected by the tragedy.

I truly hope that all who have claimed prayer for the situation has truly stopped and bowed their head to the One True God who is capable of bringing hope to the hopeless and who can shine light in the midst of darkness.  Perhaps if we would all pray just a little more for our nation in the absence of times like these, rather than just in the midst of them, then maybe they'd be a little less frequent, but we'll talk about that another day.

It is truly during times like this that the lost world is looking for words of hope from God's people.  We are tasked with such a great opportunity to be His spokesperson for love, healing, and forgiveness.  What an awesome mission field we have in the days to come!

The writer of Proverbs tells us that the mouths of the righteous offer life giving words, and those words should provide encouragement and love in the midst of uncertainty and hurting.  You might think that you're not normally good with your words, but this is your time to be used greatly by God to draw a lost world closer to Him.

The writer tells us a few chapters later:

"The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life."  Prov. 15:4

The analogy of a tree producing life reminds me of all of the Scripture in the New Testament that speaks of bearing fruit.  If you are offering words of healing to those who are hurting or to those who question why such a tragedy could occur, then you are planting seeds that could one day result in a life totally transformed by the love of God.  I truly believe that God uses our words during times like this to draw lost men and women to Him.

I hope and pray that you will make it your mission to offer seeds of hope to those around you during the weeks to come.  You don't have to have all of the answers, but you can share with them how God's love truly transcends all of these acts of useless violence.  It is only the hope that He offers through Jesus that can bring true peace to our weary land.

Join me in praying for our nation, for Boston, and for the role that we as God's people will play in the lives of those who are looking for Light in the midst of darkness.

Comments

  1. Thank you...prayer....myself have been guilty of promises of prayer and forgot...but...when I do remember...I pray.....how blessed I am to have the faith of prayer.....my prayers will continue for Boston..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin