Skip to main content

Do I Act Like That?

The other day was a very normal day around our house.  We finished school without any unplanned distractions, had some time playing outside on the gorgeous day that we had been blessed with, and then the inevitable happened.  A practically perfect day very quickly got tainted with a little scuffle between siblings.

Camron very emphatically pointed out to Savannah that she was using his headphones to listen to her iPod and not hers.  After several moments of heated conversation, my typically sweet Savannah very frustratingly yanked the cord out of her iPod and slung the headphones on the couch and stomped back to her bedroom.

Camron's response to her behavior was what shocked me.  He very innocently looked at me and asked a poignant question.  He asked:

"Do I ever act like that?"

I was proud of my ten-year old, rather non-reflective little boy for taking a moment to ponder whether his reaction to adverse circumstances are as unappealing as his sister's were. 

Have you ever done that?  Have you observed the behavior (positive or negative) of someone else and taken a moment to introspectively ask yourself if your behavior ever resembles theirs?

Just as I told Camron, that's a very good question to pose to ourselves from time to time.  It's not a bad idea to keep our actions and responses in check based on what we observe in others.  Sometimes we can learn more about what we desire for our life to look like by taking note of what we don't want it to look like.

However, let me ask you this question:

Who should we ultimately be comparing ourselves to?

We will always be able to find someone in this fallen world who responds inappropriately, who loses all control, and who acts unbecomingly.  If we only compare ourselves to our fellow sinful man, we'll always be able to find someone who makes us feel a little bit better about ourselves.  I don't think that's what Christ has in mind for His followers.

Do you remember how the Pharisee was chastised by Jesus whenever he pridefully compared himself to the tax collector in the Gospel of Luke?  This Pharisee very arrogantly and publicly thanked God that he wasn't anything like all of the other sinful people in the world, namely the tax collector who stood in his very presence.  He then praised himself for all of the good things that he does for God.

In contrast, the prayer of the tax collector was drastically different.  Here is how Luke records the response of the tax collector:

"But the tax collector stood at a distance.  He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'"  Luke 18:13

Jesus then reminds his listeners that it is the humble who will be exalted, but those who exalt themselves will one day be humbled.

Whenever we compare ourselves to our fellow man, rather than comparing ourselves to the Son of Man, then we'll always be able to find someone who makes us feel a little bit better about ourselves.  However, whenever we remember that Jesus is our measuring stick, we're more likely to resemble the tax collector who was only capable of confessing his sinful state and who was in desperate need of mercy from God.

Whenever you find yourself sounding more like the Pharisee than the tax collector, take a moment to get yourself in check.  We must remind ourselves on a daily basis that anything that comes out of our lives that is good is only because of God's righteousness that He bestowed upon us at the time of our salvation. 

Who do you resemble today:  The Pharisee or the tax collector?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...