Skip to main content

Do I Act Like That?

The other day was a very normal day around our house.  We finished school without any unplanned distractions, had some time playing outside on the gorgeous day that we had been blessed with, and then the inevitable happened.  A practically perfect day very quickly got tainted with a little scuffle between siblings.

Camron very emphatically pointed out to Savannah that she was using his headphones to listen to her iPod and not hers.  After several moments of heated conversation, my typically sweet Savannah very frustratingly yanked the cord out of her iPod and slung the headphones on the couch and stomped back to her bedroom.

Camron's response to her behavior was what shocked me.  He very innocently looked at me and asked a poignant question.  He asked:

"Do I ever act like that?"

I was proud of my ten-year old, rather non-reflective little boy for taking a moment to ponder whether his reaction to adverse circumstances are as unappealing as his sister's were. 

Have you ever done that?  Have you observed the behavior (positive or negative) of someone else and taken a moment to introspectively ask yourself if your behavior ever resembles theirs?

Just as I told Camron, that's a very good question to pose to ourselves from time to time.  It's not a bad idea to keep our actions and responses in check based on what we observe in others.  Sometimes we can learn more about what we desire for our life to look like by taking note of what we don't want it to look like.

However, let me ask you this question:

Who should we ultimately be comparing ourselves to?

We will always be able to find someone in this fallen world who responds inappropriately, who loses all control, and who acts unbecomingly.  If we only compare ourselves to our fellow sinful man, we'll always be able to find someone who makes us feel a little bit better about ourselves.  I don't think that's what Christ has in mind for His followers.

Do you remember how the Pharisee was chastised by Jesus whenever he pridefully compared himself to the tax collector in the Gospel of Luke?  This Pharisee very arrogantly and publicly thanked God that he wasn't anything like all of the other sinful people in the world, namely the tax collector who stood in his very presence.  He then praised himself for all of the good things that he does for God.

In contrast, the prayer of the tax collector was drastically different.  Here is how Luke records the response of the tax collector:

"But the tax collector stood at a distance.  He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'"  Luke 18:13

Jesus then reminds his listeners that it is the humble who will be exalted, but those who exalt themselves will one day be humbled.

Whenever we compare ourselves to our fellow man, rather than comparing ourselves to the Son of Man, then we'll always be able to find someone who makes us feel a little bit better about ourselves.  However, whenever we remember that Jesus is our measuring stick, we're more likely to resemble the tax collector who was only capable of confessing his sinful state and who was in desperate need of mercy from God.

Whenever you find yourself sounding more like the Pharisee than the tax collector, take a moment to get yourself in check.  We must remind ourselves on a daily basis that anything that comes out of our lives that is good is only because of God's righteousness that He bestowed upon us at the time of our salvation. 

Who do you resemble today:  The Pharisee or the tax collector?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin