Skip to main content

Out With The Old, In With The New

Put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."  Ephesians 4:24

In addition to the smell of freshly turned dirt and purple petunias, there's another attribute of spring that I highly look forward to every year.  I look forward to boxing up my fall and winter clothes and replacing them with the spring and summer clothes that have been patiently waiting in the attic to be put back into circulation.  Little did I know that this particular practice was a foreign concept to men folk, but I learned that very quickly after getting married!

There's something about pulling out clothes that have been in hiding for six months that makes me excited!  Although I have a particular fondness for the warmer months, I even find myself looking forward to the fall time whenever I get to participate in this ritual all over again, but in reverse.

It's almost as if the boxing up of the previous seasons clothes allows me to mentally step away from the things of the past and open up a new box to what the future holds.

 It's a fresh start. 

It's a clean canvas.

You can compare this new beginning to the time that you received new life in Christ.  It was refreshing.  It was an undeserved gift.  It was the greatest blessing that you and I could ever receive.

Paul reminds the believers at Ephesus that accepting Christ might have been easy, but following after Him and His righteousness is going to be a little more difficult.  He tells them that to fully function as Christ followers, they have to leave behind the old self and take on a new identity.

Do you see what Paul is saying?  He's telling us that when we become a Christian, God doesn't just hand us a new attitude and lifestyle at the time of our conversion.  We have to make the choice to "put it on."  Remember, accepting Christ doesn't take any work on our parts, but living for Christ does.

It's not in our nature to be like Christ.  I am naturally a sinful person and I have to make an intentional choice to call myself out on the sin in my life and walk away from it.  Paul tells the Ephesians (and us) that there are things that should be put aside now that they are following after Christ.  Those things are (4:25-32):
  • Lying
  • Sinning while angry
  • Stealing
  • Unwholesome talk
  • Bitterness
  • Anger
  • Slander
  • Malice
  • Unforgiveness
What I realize when I look at that list of actions and attitudes is that I find myself casting them off, only to pick them back up and put them on again.  If you're like me, you might have to consciously "put off your old self" on a daily basis.  Casting off the old doesn't just happen at the time of your conversion, it needs to happen everyday.

I hope you'll take some time to reflect on the ways of your old self that you haven't quite laid down . . . or perhaps you have, only to pick them back up again.  Perhaps you and I are alike and you feel like you are doing well in one area of your life, only to be confronted head on with another area that needs attention.

Whether you're a new believer or if you've been a Christian for fifty years, we all need to stop and examine whether or not our lives represent a new creation or whether we look just like our old selves.

So, if you do what I do and take the time and energy to box up one season's clothes and replace them with the new season's wardrobe, then also take the time to pack up those clothes of unrighteousness that have made their way into your life and ask God to help you not pull them back out again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...