Skip to main content

The Life Improvement Store

"I have come that they might have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."  John 10:10

About a year ago my husband and I had our first opportunity to go to an IKEA store while visiting some friends in Atlanta.  I had heard all about how unique and wonderful these stores were so I was extremely excited to see what the fuss was all about!

After about five minutes in the store, I very quickly realized that this was my kind of place!  The only way I could describe it for those who have never been to one is that it's basically a Swedish Wal-Mart!  It's loaded with all kinds of reasonably priced gadgets, home goods, furniture, a restaurant, and a place for your kids to play while you shop.

While strolling through the store (which is so big you need a map to navigate it), I would periodically hear an advertisement for something on sale in the store and the ad would always end with,

"IKEA:  The Life Improvement Store.".

I sort of chuckled the first time I heard it.  I thought to myself, "Wow!  This store knows how to fix your life, too!"  Then I came to a realization.  IKEA might be able to improve the temporal and frivolous aspects of our life, but the only true life improvement comes from having a personal relationship with Christ.

John speaks a lot in his Gospel about the life that comes from Christ.  In fact, he references the life that Jesus gives a total of thirty-six times, from the bread of life to eternal life.  Our focal verse talks about that abundant life that comes from knowing Christ.

There's a Gospel being preached in certain circles today that will tell you that this abundant life includes an abundance of riches and prosperity, along with impeccable health.  They will tell you that if you only have enough faith, then surely God will provide all sorts of earthly blessings.

We have to realize something before we buy into such tempting teaching.  God is way more concerned with your eternal salvation than He is with your status in this world.  His desire is to see everyone's heart's healed from their sin sick state because unlimited physical healing would deprive us from the blessing of Heaven.

Jesus might not have come to pad your pockets and eliminate all aches and pains, but He does offer "life improvement."

Jesus gives hope to the hopeless. 

He gives love to the lonely. 

He brings peace in the middle of chaos.

But most importantly, Jesus gives life to the lost.

Eugene Peterson paraphrases John 10:10 so beautifully when he says:

"I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of."  (MSG)

Friends, if you know Jesus as your Savior, then you'll get a mere glimpse of what real life is like here on earth, but we can't even dream up the kind of abundant life that He has in store for us in Heaven!

We're surrounded by people everyday who are hungering and thirsting for this kind of abundant life that Jesus gives.  They are searching and trying to fill that void in their life with anything and everything, but they don't realize that it can only be filled by Christ.  It is up to you and I to show them the way to the only life improvement that makes an eternal difference.

Have you shared Christ's life improvement with anyone lately?

Comments

  1. Wow... its funny..everyone has told me about the IKEA store and I've not been yet...but you are so right...it is all about Jesus... and I keep trying to get back to where I was before this trial..this blessing....but I know that I can't count on feelings...so I guess I'll say joy...so I'll be in my garden again today...pruning....so I can clear my way to Jesus... thank you again..,,.
    .A. gain.....so true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin