Skip to main content

Going Nowhere Fast

"In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed.  In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling."  Exodus 15:13

If you have ever had the misfortune of being stuck in traffic that is moving along at a snail's pace and where the interstate looks more like a never ending parking lot than a freeway, then you can relate to the emotions that my husband and I recently felt.  He and I had just experienced some time of relaxation and renewal, only to be welcomed back to reality by a horrendous day on the busiest highway in the southeastern United States!

We felt as if the speed limit signs which read "70 MPH" were mischievously laughing at us as we observed our pitiful speedometer which was barely topping out at 6 MPH!  This unfortunate state lasted for several hours.  We disapprovingly watched as the "Arrival Time" on our GPS gradually ticked further and further beyond its original prediction. 

Traveling fifteen miles in three hours is enough to cause anyone immense frustration and anxiety.  We were literally going nowhere fast.  The minutes on the clock were going faster than we were! 

I felt as if we very fondly resembled the Children of Israel as they grumbled their way through the desert.  Just as they questioned their predicament and how they were better off as slaves in Egypt, my husband and I questioned the route we had chosen and then sulked about having to sit in a car that was barely moving.

Whenever I think about the Children of Israel, I often forget one very important detail.  Their excessive wandering through the desert was led directly by God.  They had the great privilege of  visibly seeing and following the presence of the Lord in two different, yet very obvious manifestations.  During the daytime, His presence guided them within a pillar of cloud and then at night He led them with a pillar of fire.

Because they were His children and chosen people, God very clearly and lovingly guided them. 

"Neither the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night left its
place in front of the people." 
Exodus 13:22
 
If you are a child of God today, then you can trust your life to His leadership as well.  If you choose to follow Him, His guidance might take you down unforeseen paths that only He can determine to be the right way.  However, His guidance might also lead you in a way that is a direct result of grumbling or disobedience, as was the case for the Israelites.   
 
When the timing was right, I very sweetly reminded my husband that although our path had unfortunately taken us down a road of frustration, we arrived safely at our destination and we were blessed to not have witnessed any traffic accidents that are often times the culprit for such traffic jams.  God had guided us safely to the other side . . . and in His timing, not ours.

Are you striving to follow God's guidance and leadership in your life?  The temptation for many of us is to take hold of the reins and determine our own paths in life.  However, if you are one of His redeemed, then His unfailing love will guide you in a manner that will be far better than any path you could ever navigate on your own.

Do yourself a favor today.  Hand God back the reins of your life and let His strong and loving hand guide your each and every step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...