Skip to main content

Two or More

God has blessed my husband and I with dear friends who are also in the ministry. We regularly get together to relax, to fellowship, to share funny "preacher stories," but my favorite part of our gathering is when we huddle up and pray for each other. We pray for each others churches, for God's guidance in our homes, and for God to guide and direct our lives and ministries. I believe that the time that we spend intimately praying together has kept our friendship strong.

Last week I shared with you that my heart was burdened with the spiritual discipline of prayer.  I specifically dealt with the matter of intercessory prayer in "How Can I Pray For You?".  I shared how I have felt the prayers of my fellow believers on my behalf, and how I now have the privilege of interceding on behalf of others who are hurting.

As powerful as I feel that my personal prayers are, there is incomparable power in the prayers of multiple believers gathered together in prayer.  Whether you're praying with a friend over the telephone, or lying in bed with your spouse at night, or in a house full of believers, praying with other people is powerful. 

There is nothing new about the importance of corporate prayer.  From the inception of the New Testament church, believers have seen the power of praying with one another.  Following the resurrection of Christ, the disciples gathered together to decide who was going to replace Judas in their group of twelve.  Luke records how they went about that process:

"They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers."  Acts 1:14

This time of prayer wasn't haphazard nor was it an afterthought.  They knew that spending time in prayer together was tantamount to allowing God to use them for His glory as His church was in its infancy. 

When I read that they "joined together constantly in prayer," I don't think our fast-paced, multi-tasking, Western minds can fathom what that would entail.  I have a feeling that when they weren't eating or sleeping, they were praying together! I picture them hand in hand, on their knees, pouring their hearts out to God.  It was because of this persistence in corporate prayer that God blessed their efforts as they sought to do His will.
  • Have you personally felt the power of corporate prayer? 
  • Have you seen God reveal His specific will for a situation because of the persistence of praying with fellow believers?  
  • Do you have a prayer partner or prayer group that gives you the opportunity to participate regularly in praying for lost souls, for God's guidance for your life or church, or for physical healing for loved ones?
  • Do you allow God to use you to take the lead in initiating prayer with fellow believers?
If you have missed out on the blessing of approaching God's throne while hand in hand with another believer, pray that God will put the opportunity in your path today.  If you have a Christian friend, ask to pray with them.  If you want to take your relationship with your spouse to another level, begin praying with them.  You will feel God's presence in an amazing way because of this promise:

"For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."  Matt. 18:20 



Comments

  1. There is power in prayer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,,,there most certainly is power in group prayer and we ....need more ...I have found that if the three girls,,,,pray with me,,,,our time together is precious and powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...