Skip to main content

When People Disappoint You


"They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed."  Psalm 22:5

One of the hardest things to accept in life is that people are going to let you down.  I've only been on this earth for thirty-three years, but that has been ample time for numerous people to disappoint me.  I've been disappointed by broken promises from friends, sinful choices made by professing Christians, lack of sympathy from people during personal times of grief, and a whole host of other instances where I've felt as if the world in general has let me down.

I'm not alone whenever it comes to disappointment.  I'm sure you could recount many times when you've been let down by a friend or family member, or perhaps even by someone you don't even personally know.  Let's be honest . . . being let down by someone hurts.  It can almost callous you to the point where you're tempted to put up barriers in an attempt to rid yourself from being hurt in the future.

Well, we're not alone in our disappointments!  Let's recall a few of the numerous "let downs" in the Bible:
  • Adam and Eve's disobedience disappointed God
  • Lot's choices disappointed Abraham
  • David disappointed God, Nathan, and all of Israel
  • Absalom disappointed David
  • Job was disappointed by his friends
  • Jeremiah was disappointed by the sinfulness of God's people
  • Jesus was disappointed by Judas and Peter
  • Peter was disappointed by Ananias and Sapphira
And that's not even an exhaustive list!  Unfortunately, life is full of let-downs because we live in a world that is full of sin.  Being hurt by other people is definitely painful, but if I'm honest, I've done my fair share of disappointing those who I care about, too.

Thankfully, because I'm a saved child of God, I have a personal relationship with Someone who never has disappointed me, and never will.  Although men will continue to let me down, God is not even capable of doing such a thing.  Not only will He never disappoint me, but if I will allow Him, He'll take all of the previous disappointments that I've experienced from my fellow man and turn them into something beautiful.  Paul gives us this promise in Romans whenever he says:

"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."  Romans 5:3-4

If I will allow Him, God will take my disappointments and my let downs and shape them into perseverance, character, and hope.  He never misses out on an opportunity to make something beautiful out of what was once scarred.  I always try to teach my kids that every negative situation has a lesson in it.  If I'm disappointed by someone I love, hopefully my character is being refined and I'm learning how I want ultimately treat those who I love.

What's even more beautiful than what we get in exchange for our disappointments is the promise that there will never be a time when we are disappointed in our God.  Paul continues on and says:

"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."  Romans 5:5

The hope that we have because of our relationship with God through Jesus is evidenced in the fact that the love that He bestowed upon us at the time of our salvation is being continually poured out on us everyday.  His love, care, and promises have never let me down!

I hope you will take comfort in the promise that God in His great love for you is not capable of disappointing you.  If you've given up all hope in your fellow man, place your trust in the One who wants to take those disappointments and mold them into beautiful qualities that resemble Him.  Our hope in Him is a sure thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin