Skip to main content

Come Quickly, Lord Jesus

"Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation."  2 Peter 3:15a

Perhaps you've heard the expression, "Come quickly, Lord Jesus."  I hear that expression used most often during times of turmoil and tragedy.  I have heard it this week in reference to the horrific tornadoes that ravaged the Midwest.  I heard it following the bombings at the Boston Marathon.  I heard it following the senseless school shooting in Newtown Connecticut in December of 2012.  It seems to be a phrase that is used much more frequently than I ever remember before.

It is essentially a prayer for Jesus not to tarry and for Him to return and rapture His church, which will provide an end to the earthly suffering for God's people.  The expression comes from the King James Version of Revelation 22:20.  It says:

"He which testifieth these things saith, 'Surely I come quickly.'  Amen.  Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

Praying for Christ's return seems to provide comfort during times of distress.  It gives us something to look forward to with hope and anticipation.  It reminds us that although things may be bleak and downright depressing here on this earth, there will come a day when the tragedies and the evil we have grown accustomed to are history and Heaven is our present.

Peter tells us in his second letter that as we're praying for the Lord's return, we must remember that there is a divine purpose concerning the timing of His return. 

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  2 Peter 3:9

Our God loves the lost souls of this world so much that He is patiently waiting for them to turn to Him and accept His gift of salvation.  You see, our God doesn't tarry in vain.  There is a purpose in His waiting.  So, while we're praying for Him to come, He's instinctively saying,

"Not yet . . . I want to see some more people follow after Me." 

Our eyes might be fixed on the negative things that have happened around us, but He is fixated on the positive that is still yet to come.

The wonderful thing about praying and anticipating Jesus' return is that there is something we can be doing to hasten the event.  Peter tells us that we can speed up His coming.  Since we know that out of His great love for mankind, He is patiently waiting for more lost souls to turn to Him, we can be about our Father's business and be doing our part to win the lost. 

As our focal verse says, His patience could mean salvation for your unsaved friend, boss, co-worker, neighbor, teacher, child, parent, aunt, uncle, etc.  Maybe He's waiting for you to do your part by sharing the Gospel with that one who so desperately needs to confronted with their need of a Savior. 

So, as you pray for Christ's return, don't neglect your part in hastening the process.  The sooner you and I share Christ with the lost who are around us, then the sooner the day of His return will come.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...