Skip to main content

The Goldilock Mindset

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."  Matt. 5:16

If you spent any time in church at all during your childhood years, or perhaps even had a Christian grandmother or neighbor, it is very likely that you were taught the song, "This Little Light of Mine."  It's sung with precious hand motions of each child holding up their sweet little pointer finger, which represents the light of Jesus.  The verses say,

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine  . . .",
"Hide it under a bushel, NO, I'm gonna let it shine . . . ",
"Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine . . . ",
"Let it shine 'til Jesus comes, I'm gonna let it shine . . . ".

When children are singing that song, they can't possibly fully understand the depth of the analogy of the shining light.  They are wise enough to realize that their finger isn't really a light, but it's not until some years later that they realize that their whole life is meant to be a light for Jesus. 

I don't know about you, but I have come in contact with a lot of Christians whose lights vary in terms of kilowatts, if you know what I mean!  I have unfortunately met some who barely cast any light to the point that if you were to need them during a dark time, they would be of little help to you.  On the other hand, I've met some whose lights are burning so bright that it is offensive to the normal person.  They practically blind everyone they come in contact with.  Thankfully, God has placed many Christians in my life who shine the perfect amount of light in whatever situation or setting they are in.   They're not too dim, not too bright, but rather, they are just right!

It's almost like the story of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears".  As Goldilocks was pillaging through the home of the three bears, she was looking for the perfect temperature of her porridge, the ideal chair for someone her size, and the bed that wasn't too soft or too hard, but rather, just right. 

So, in terms of the light we reflect for Jesus, are we reflecting enough light?  When we're not reflecting a sufficient amount of light for Christ, it's possible that people that we come in contact with everyday don't even know that we're Christians.  Whether it be at work, or the ball field, or possibly in our very own homes, have the people who are around you experienced the benefits of your light by the warmth you give off and the way you're able to provide guidance in times of darkness?

Or perhaps, is your light too bright?  That might sound strange and you're probably thinking that no one would ever be able to be too bright of a light for Christ.  Think about it this way.  If you've ever been in near total darkness for an extended period of time, whether it be a movie theater or a cave, if the first light you see following that period of darkness is the blazing rays of the sun, then you are going to feel practically blinded.  Your first response will be to cover your eyes and to turn away from it.

Now think about the non-believer who has lived in total darkness for the entirety of their life.  If we come at them with Bible in hand, spouting every Scripture that we've ever memorized in Bible School, and try to tell them that they need what we have, they are likely to cover their eyes and run as fast as they can!  Just as too much literal light can be offensive to our eyes, casting too much light for Christ whenever we're around people who've never been exposed to His Light can also be offensive, and essentially do more harm than good.

Finding that perfect balance of just the right amount of light is what we should all be striving for.  If we're reflecting Christ to the people we come in contact with in a way that draws people to Him, our God is going to be glorified in that.  I pray that our lives never push people farther away from Christ. 

Let's all strive for to have Goldilock's mindset . . . not too much, not too little, but just the right amount of light in our very dark world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...