Skip to main content

From a Distance

I enjoy pulling into my driveway and seeing bright colors of yellow, and purple, and red flowing out of my hanging baskets.  After so many cold and colorless months, it's nice to not just feel the warm air on our skin, but to also be visually stimulated by the vibrant colors of spring.

From a distance, you don't see any imperfections in each basket of flowers.  They look like they're full of healthy blossoms, as if they are watered daily and appropriately fed the perfect amount of plant food.  However, I'm not the most diligent gardener.  I'm have more of a "hit or miss" type of approach.  They might get tended to very consistently for a week, and then I'll get lax and just pray for rain!

As I took the time this morning to actually get up close to my plants, I realized that it was time to do some pruning.  Each plant was still beautiful from a distance, but as I got closer I began to see all of the buds that had died and were beginning to wither.  I began the process of "dead-heading" which removes all of the dead parts so that they don't rob the healthy parts of any water or nutrients.

As I plucked each brown, withered blossom I began to think about what parts of my life needed to be "dead-headed."  You see, just like plants, we have to frequently take the time to examine what part of our lives aren't bearing any fruit anymore.  From a distance, we can make it look to the world like everything is fine and dandy and that there is nothing but good flowing out of our lives.  But, just like my plants, the closer we get to others, the dead heads are bound to show through.

Regardless of whether or not we let our dead heads (those sins that keep us from truly glorifying God with our lives) show through to the outside world, they are always seen by God.  We can even deceive ourselves into believing that they're not there whenever they really are, but we can never deceive God.  He is the ultimate gardener and it is through Him and His Word that we can even be made aware of our sins.

Jesus even uses the illustration in John's Gospel of His Father being the gardener.  He says:

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."  John 15:1-2

I wish I didn't, but I have plenty of those dead branches in my life that God continues to cut off, and I want Him to.  He exposes dead branches like:
  • Gossip
  • Unholy thoughts
  • Selfishness
  • Failure to give Him the worship He's due
  • Failure to reach out to others in need
God doesn't expect perfection out of His children, but He does expect us to pursue holiness.  He truly wants our lives to be productive and fruitful to those who observe us from a distance, but He also wants those who know us personally and closely to see that we've been dead-heading those things that don't belong in the life of a child of God.

What does God see in your life today?

Is it beautiful from a distance so that all the world thinks that you've got it all together, but God and those who know you best are able to see the dead heads (sins) that you haven't plucked out yet?

Just like my flowers, our lives are in constant need of assessment.  I can't let a week go by without spending some time plucking and pruning in those pots and baskets.  If I do, then their likelihood of making it through the summer is very slim.  If I let time continue to pass in my life where I haven't looked below the surface to see what needs to be plucked, then my spiritual life will be just as unhealthy as my flowers.

Take some time today to make sure that your life doesn't just look good from a distance.  Anyone can be superficial.  Commit to be a follower of Christ that lets the ultimate gardener have total control of your life, even if that means a little plucking and pruning.  

Comments

  1. I need to get pruning in my garden,,,,,,,those weeds are hard to get rid of...so "Round Up" those and tend to them.........so my days will be brighter...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me Cathy, we've all got some work to do! I'm so thankful that God is more patient with His children than I tend to be with mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin