Skip to main content

Angry Like Jesus

Disgusted.  Outraged.  Fiery.  Infuriated.  Irate.  Indignation.

Those are all of the emotions that surface within me whenever I hear of a child being mistreated.  I go to another level of crazy whenever I hear about children who were robbed of their childhood because some lunatic who had a hobby of abducting young girls and holding them hostage in his home.  I can't stand the thought of a child's innocence and purity being stolen from them simply because another human being lacked the moral fortitude to conduct himself as an adult should.

Those same emotions surface whenever I think about the millions of babies who never got the chance to see the light of day because of the choice that was made by the people who thought they were mature enough to engage in the behavior that produces a child, yet not mature enough to give that child life.  The level of irresponsibility and moral immorality in our world today that is producing these millions of abortions every year should truly raise the hair on the back of every Christian's neck.

I am certain that our God and His Son get angered about both of those things I've just mentioned.  I know this because God always stands on the side of respecting and protecting life.  He doesn't just stand there, he gets angry and does something about it. 

You've probably heard about the time that Jesus became angry in the temple and expressed his anger by turning over the money changers tables.  However there is another time that Jesus became angry, but His response was quite different. 

There was a time whenever Jesus was in the synagogue on the Sabbath and He became aware of a man who was in need of healing because his hand was shriveled.  Now, you've probably heard the stories of Jesus' encounters with the Pharisees and their disagreements on what was lawful to participate in on the Sabbath and what wasn't.  Well, this occasion was no different.  There was no way that Jesus wasn't going to bring healing into this man's hand.  Jesus valued his life and the fullness of his life.  That is evident by what He says to the Pharisees:

"Then Jesus asked them, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath:  to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?"  But they remained silent."  Mark 3:4

Their silence angered Jesus.  He was angry that they were more concerned with Jewish tradition than with the well-being of this man.  Mark records Jesus' response to their silence in this way:

"He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, "Stretch out your hand."  He stretched it out, and his hand as completely restored."  Mark 3:5

When Jesus walked through the door that day, the Pharisees knew that Jesus' was capable of healing this man in need.  Yet they had their hearts fixated on the law and not on love for their fellow man.  This truly angered Jesus.  He was angry at their lack of compassion, as well as their misinterpretation of God's law. God's law was intended to be carried out in love.  These same Pharisees would have been OK with retrieving an ox from a ditch on the Sabbath, but providing a life-changing healing for someone was out of the question.

I think Jesus wants us to get fired up and passionate about things that are deserving of our attention and energy.  If we get angered like Jesus did, we'll get angry about situations where the value of life is not being honored and where God is being dishonored.  Jesus was a perfect example of someone who was capable of experiencing righteous indignation, yet never sinned as a result of His anger.  Paul teaches us that it's alright to get angry, but our anger should not produce sin.  He explicitly says:

"In your anger, do not sin."  Ephesians 4:26

So, have you felt any righteous anger lately?  Have any current events or social issues gotten you riled up in a way that would mirror Christ's reaction to the situation?

One way that we express our unwavering and whole heart devotion to God is by speaking up about things in our society that trigger appropriate anger in your heart.  Many Christians have set back for way too long and allowed the opposing voices speak out way louder than ours.  We must speak up for morality and we must speak up for life, just as Jesus did. 

How will you let your righteous anger produce positive fruit in this sinful world?  Will you speak up for life? 

Maybe we all should get a little angry, just like Jesus did.

Comments

  1. Girl, You are right on time! God always sends me what I need to hear through his faithful servants!! Thank you for letting him speak through you. You are such a blessing and inspiration to me as well as your entire family! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! I appreciate your kind words. You've been such an encouragement to me this morning.

      Delete
  2. Ephesians 4:26.......personally...I struggle with my results...my intent is not to anger people..but I am outraged at aboration.....for years...I worked with Right to Life...then in 1979/80 helped start the first Birthright group in Greenville S,C,.....both are wonderful outlets.....but you can be so discouraged with results......and again...its church going Christians that are having the abortions.,,so many reasons they give...too young...not enough money...rape....etc. but if we would truly get busy ...we could change the laws....make it harder on women to have abortions...I wish the same people that rescue dogs and cats....which I have 1 dog and 10 cats..would rescue these precious miracles of our God.....it is the beginning of the end for us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin