Skip to main content

It's Not All About You

I've had many people tell me that they aren't comfortable praying publicly.  Whenever I hear this, I try to never doubt their private prayer time because the mere aspect of speaking publicly is enough to send some people into hysterics!  One thing I do try to say to encourage them is that praying publicly should be no different than praying privately.  The public prayer is still directed to God, but other people are merely getting the opportunity to overhear your conversation with Him.

I'm convinced that the quality of our prayer life is a direct reflection of our relationship with God.  If I desire to have a strong relationship with my Heavenly Father, then my communication with Him through prayer can't be shallow, self-centered, nor regularly neglected.  If we desire to be Christ-like in all that we do, then we should look nowhere else but to Christ for what our prayer life should resemble.

One of my favorite passages of Scripture comes out of John 17.  In this passage we're given an intimate look at what Jesus' prayer life truly looked like.  In this beautiful conversation between a Son and His Father, we are given a little more access into the heart of Christ.   I highly encourage you to read that passage during your quiet time today and be encouraged by your Savior's prayer. 

My Bible breaks Jesus' prayer down into three different sections:
  1. Jesus Prays for Himself
  2. Jesus Prays for His Disciples
  3. Jesus Prays for All Believers (My personal favorite part because Jesus is praying for me!)
As I was reading through His prayer once again today, I was reminded of something I read last week. I read a statement that convicted me about what my prayers sometimes sound like.  This is what I read:

"How easy it is to make prayer about us and not about God." 
- Ed Litton

Unfortunately, I can be found guilty of making my prayers all about me and I forget one very important thing . . . God should to be glorified in my prayers.

When I was reading John 17, it was as if the words jumped off the page in a way that made it very clear that although He was praying for Himself, His disciples, and His followers, more than anything, Jesus' prayer was

ALL ABOUT GOD

In this twenty-six verse prayer, Jesus refers directly to God by using the words "You" or "Your" a total of fifty-one times.  He might be talking to God about Himself and other people, but the entirety of His conversation with His Father is about Him.  It is very obvious by reading this prayer that at the very center of Jesus' heart was to glorify His Father in absolutely everything.  He even begins the prayer by saying:

"Father, the time has come.  Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you." 
John 17:1b  

In almost every sentence that Jesus utters in this prayer, He finds a way to give God credit for something.  Even when He is presenting a petition before God, He praises Him for the power that is only found in His name:
 
"Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name -- the name you gave me -- so that they may be one as we are one."  John 17:11b

Whether or not you feel comfortable praying in public is not necessarily important right now.  What is important is that our prayers are more about giving glory to God than they are about our wants and desires.  If our approach to prayer more resembles how we might speak to a genie in a bottle, then God is merely receiving requests and not receiving the praises that He is due. 

If you read through Jesus' prayer in John 17, then you have seen a perfect example of how our prayers can glorify God, in addition to presenting petitions before Him.  Whenever Jesus taught His disciples how to pray in "The Model Prayer," the first words out of His mouth were in the form of a praise to God:
 
"Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be your name."  Matt. 6:9b

Our prayers should begin, end, and be filled with praises to the Most High God.  After all, our prayers shouldn't just be all about us . . . they should be about Him.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin