Skip to main content

You Need A Time-Out!

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."  Luke 5:16

I don't know what your preferred choice of discipline is (or was) to use with your children whenever they disobey.  I've seen parents today use everything from yelling to taking toys away to the ever controversial spanking!  Perhaps one of the most popular forms of discipline today is putting the child in time-out.

If you're of a more seasoned age (smile), you might have used the original form of time-outs and not even realized it.  Did you ever say the words:

"Go stand in the corner!"?

Well, I don't know about you, but sometimes I wish somebody would put me in time-out!  Not because I've been naughty or disobedient, but because I just need a break from the world.  Some days I feel that if I don't get about five minutes of peace and quiet that I might possibly spontaneously combust!

The truth is, we should all be taking a time-out everyday.

Between obligations at work, extra curricular activities for the kids, doctor appointments, church, and the necessary evils like grocery shopping and getting gas, it's amazing we can even find time to eat and sleep.  Maybe we should all intentionally pencil in a daily time-out amongst the other demands that consume our date books.

We're in good company, though.  The greatest man who ever lived needed to take time-outs.  Jesus very clearly shows us how the demands of our everyday life can drain us if we don't take some time to refuel with some quiet time with God.

What we have to remember is that even when we're doing noteworthy and good things, we need a time-out.  Even when our time is consumed by serving God, we need a time-out. 

In the chapter that leads up to today's focal verse, we see Jesus healing people, calling out the twelve disciples, and teaching in the synagogues.  He was doing ministry.  His time wasn't consumed with frivolous activities, yet He saw the importance in retreating away for some quiet time.

Our Scripture verse tells us that Jesus  made a habit of getting away from the world to spend some time with His Father.  He knew that He couldn't keep freely giving all of his energy to the world around Him without giving God the opportunity to fill Him back up. 

The beautiful thing about taking a time-out is that it doesn't just refresh us physically.  By doing it like Jesus did and spending that quiet time with God, our spirits will be refreshed, too.  Our relationship with God will naturally grow more intimate as we make an intentional effort to turn everything off and commune with Him -- just the two of you.

So, when was the last time you took a time-out? 

When was the last time you carved out some time in your day for an ever important meeting with your Father?

Follow Jesus' lead and steal away as often as possible to a quiet and lonely place to pray.

I give you permission . . . put yourself in time-out! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin