Skip to main content

If I Had No Voice

"David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might."    2 Samuel 6:14

One of the lyrics to a new song that I hear on the radio quite often says:

“If I had no voice, if I had no tongue,
I would dance for You like the rising sun.”*

Those lyrics make me stop and think about what my life would be like without my voice. Besides the practical aspect of needing it to accomplish everyday tasks, the lack of a voice would greatly affect my worship. I enjoy music and singing so much and a large portion of my worship is expressed through music.

The other part of the lyrics that is somewhat disturbing is the thought of dancing! I have rhythm when it comes to music, but not when it involves me moving with the music. This white girl can’t dance!

All foolishness aside, the idea of dancing for the Lord might be foreign to many of us, but it is truly an expression of worship.  One of the instances in the Bible that comes to my mind is when David danced before the Lord as the Ark of the Covenant was being brought back into Jerusalem. 

The Ark of the Covenant was an object of great importance in the Old Testament and its purpose was to remind the children of Israel of God's very presence in their midst.  Because of various battles that the Ark had been taken to, which resulted in its capture by the Philistines, and then many years of it residing safely in a home outside of the city of Jerusalem, one of the first things on David's domestic agenda as king over all of Israel was to bring the Ark of the Covenant back to Jerusalem.

This sacred box which had been built more than four centuries prior to David taking the throne was going to finally be restored to its proper place and it deserved a welcome home parade like no other.  Festivities along the parade route included a time of sacrifice, shouts from the people, music from trumpeters, leaping, dancing, and my favorite . . . eating! 

Sounds like an awesome parade, huh?

David himself participated in every step along the way, even the dancing.  The Bible even says that he "danced with all his might"!  He wasn't making a spectacle of himself.  Rather, he was so elated to have the ark back in Jerusalem that his joy overflowed into an unhindered time of worship.  His dancing  was an expression of praise, not entertainment.

So, let's go back to the song lyrics from above.  If you weren't able to sing praises to God, what would you do?  Is your love, adoration, and awe of God so strong that a lack of voice wouldn't stop you from praising Him? 

I never cease to be amazed at the grown men who will dance in the end zone after scoring a touchdown in a football game.  Nor does my amazement cease whenever I see mature, responsible adults breaking it down to the latest dance craze, whether it be "Gangnam Style" or the "Harlem Shake." 

We'll show intense emotions at a little league game, a PTO meeting, or a Black Friday Sale, yet when it comes time for worship, our emotions are stifled and controlled. 

Just as David worshipped out of an overflow of the joy he was feeling in his heart, our worship should be just as genuine and expressive.  Your worship might not look exactly like mine because my worship will reflect what is being felt in my heart, and vice versa.  The goal is for us all to truly praise and glorify an Almighty, Worthy, and Holy God from the bottom of our hearts.

If your worship has been lacking in zeal and heartfelt emotion (nothing fake or manufactured), make a commitment right now to not allow your worship to be hindered any longer.  Let the love and praises you feel in your heart become a genuine expression of worship everyday.  Strive to not let anything keep you from praising God will a full heart that overflows into a true expression of worship.

So, I ask you one last time.  If you weren't able to sing praises to God with your mouth, how would you praise Him?


*"You Are" by Colton Dixon.
 
 

Comments

  1. I don't sing or dance....so I try to praise our Lord in words and deeds...I fail at times....but I would despair if I ever lost my sight...I need to read the Bible often...my memory is failing so I must reread......I praise the Lord in words and actions....not as I should at times.... again. Thanks for this thought.....I'll think more on it,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin