Skip to main content

Sympathy's Transformation

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."    Psalm 119:71

The word "compassion" has been popping up everywhere I turn lately.  From devotions I've read, to my Sunday School lesson, and then my favorite was getting to share the meaning of the word with my children at a funeral service recently. 

My son wondered why I was on the hunt for tissues prior to the service since I wasn't close to the person who had passed away.  I was then able to explain to him that once you've experienced sorrow and grief firsthand, your heart is able to feel compassion for people who are hurting, even if you don't know them very well.  This is what I've always called sympathy transformed into empathy.

If you've ever wondered what the difference between sympathy and empathy is, here's a very simple explanation.  Sympathy is the desire to share in someone's pain.  Empathy is the desire to share in their pain because you've been through what they are going through.  Empathy is being able to clearly identify with someone's sorrow, grief, or affliction. 

Both sentiments can produce compassion in your heart, but from my personal experience, compassion is more naturally produced following your own personal pain.  Compassion is when you have feelings of sympathy or empathy, accompanied by the desire to alleviate someone's pain.  When you have experienced affliction, you tend to be more capable of feeling compassion towards people who are walking down a path that you have previously strolled.

The psalmist says that the afflictions he experienced in his life were worth going through because they provided him an education in the ways of the Lord.  I can't help but think that one of the lessons he learned through his afflictions was one of compassion.  If we allow Him, God can use every trial we go through to teach us, mold us, or equip us to be used by Him.
  • If you've lost a spouse, parent, or child, you can be used to very appropriately minister to someone who is grieving over the passing of their loved one.
  • If you've experienced cancer, a car accident, or a house fire, you now have empathy towards someone who goes through that trial.
  • If you've gone through a divorce or dealt with a prodigal child, God has equipped you to reach out to those who are taking their first steps on that journey.
Whatever the situation was that transformed your sympathy into empathy, you have the opportunity to extend first hand compassion.  Your trials do not have to be for naught. Let something good come out of something bad.

For me, the death of an aunt and the loss of a baby provided me with an education that I could have never learned in any classroom on the planet.  I've better learned what to say, what not to say, and when to say nothing at all because tears are more appreciated than words.

Have you had an unfortunate, yet meaningful lesson in the area of compassion?  What trials have you gone through so that you can be used in the ministry of compassion for others?  Have you taken the opportunity to thank God for the valleys that He's brought you through and what He taught you along the way?

Never let a trial go to waste.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin