Skip to main content

An Unusual Idol

"Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry."  1 Cor. 10:14

My son recently spent the night at a friend's house, and although it's always a little quieter when he's not here, I just miss him terribly when he's gone.  I sort of like it when our little nest is all present and accounted for!  After I picked him up, I just sat and looked at him for a minute.  He always looks like he's grown an inch or become more mature whenever he's been gone a day.  I thought to myself, "I sure do love that boy!". 

As a mom, I have to keep my immense love for my kids in check.  If I don't, I catch myself idolizing what was meant to be a gift from God, not an object of worship.

I had just had a conversation with some friends about the things we have a tendency to idolize.  There are some very worthwhile things (or people) that we can place so much emphasis, time, and energy on, and if we aren't careful, those very worthwhile things can become very dangerous.  We can unintentionally idolize:
  • Christian Pastors or Speakers
  • Spiritual Role Models or Mentors
  • Our Spouse or Children
  • Our Loyalty to our Job or an Organization (church or para-church entity)
All of those things are praiseworthy and are blessings from God, but they can become little 'g' gods if we give them more prominence in our lives than the big 'G' God.

Scripture tells us that an idol is anything that interferes with or takes the place of worship to the one true God.  We like to think about those pagans in the Bible that the Children of Israel were always warned to steer clear of, and not inner-marry with, because of their worship to false gods.  If we could leave it there, that would be great for us, but idolatry reaches beyond the pagan world and into the world of the believer.

I'd like to throw something out to you that you might have never considered to be an idol.  This was my idol for many years.  I didn't realize it, but yes, this preacher's daughter turned preacher's wife had an idol -- and I wasn't even aware that it had become an idol.  It was an idol that I felt justified in having.  It was one that I felt if I could hang on to it for just a little while longer, then it would actually make me a better Christian.  That idol was . . .

GUILT

Never heard of that idol before, have you? 

Well, stop and think about it.  If an idol is anything that takes the place of our worship to God, then my guilt was definitely keeping me from worshipping God with a whole heart.  I had allowed guilt and personal unforgiveness to stagnate me in my walk with the Lord.

I had chosen to pine over sins in my life that God had already forgiven me for, but I wasn't able to forgive myself for.  I think I felt that the longer I wallowed in my guilt, then God would see how truly repentant I was.  This guilt was trapped in my legalistic heart and there wasn't room in there for my idolized guilt, as well as true worship for God.

Like David in the Bible, I felt burdened by the weight of the guilt I carried around.  In one of his seven penitential psalms that he wrote, he expressed his state of being like this:

"My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear."  Psalm 38:4

Do you know what I realized?  I was choosing to carry my guilt and that heavy burden.  When I realized that I had a choice in the matter, then I realized that I could make the choice to 'not' carry it. 

What guilt are you carrying around from past sins that God has already forgiven you for?  God doesn't desire for you to wallow in the mire and the muck of your sin.  He also doesn't desire for your guilt to interfere with your unhindered worship any longer.

Make the choice today to lay down that burden of guilt.  If God has forgiven you for it, it's time for you to offer yourself that same gift.  Then, get on to worshipping God with a renewed zeal now that your idol of guilt is out of your way and out of your heart .




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin