Skip to main content

Overturned Tables and Angelic Voices

“From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise.” Psalm 8:2a

Is there anything more precious than the voice of a little child singing? A couple of years back, my daughter sang “Happy Birthday Jesus” in church at Christmas. I know that I am biased, but it was almost angelic sounding!

I always love to sit around a group of children at church. When children have never been made to feel that praising the Lord is anything to be ashamed of, they can belt out the most beautiful songs with all the gusto they can muster up. The strength of their voices puts most adults to shame.

Traditionally on this day in the Passion Week narrative is when we read that Jesus became angry in the temple. He had discovered that it was being used to pad the pockets of the temple leaders, rather than as a house of prayer. The beautiful part of the story that many times gets overlooked is the role that the children played in that story.

Of course, the same religious leaders who had been overseeing the misuse of the temple had a problem with the praises coming from the lips of the children. Jesus reminded them what the Old Testament said in Psalm about God having ordained the praises to come from the children. It’s almost as if He causes the children to praise Him to overshadow all of the evil being done by the adults.

I’ve always wondered what Jesus’ reaction to our modern day churches would be? Would He be more pleased with the young children than He would with the Christians who had been following Him for decades? Would He be overwhelmed with praise from His people, or bewildered by all of the things we do in His house that in no way brings glory to Him?

I don’t know about you, but I want my Lord to be able to walk into the house of worship that I attend on any given Sunday and feel pleased about what is taking place. I want Him to hear my praises and know that they are coming from the depths of my heart.

Perhaps you and I need to take some time to identify with the children in this passage. They had it right. They were praising the Son of God with their voices and with their lives, even when everything going on around them was wrong.

Stop and ask God to show you where you are more like the temple leaders than the children. If God needs to overturn some tables in your heart, there’s no better day for Him to do it than today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin