Skip to main content

Don't Feed the Sea Gulls!

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."     Prov. 14:12

During the summertime there is nowhere I'd rather be than sitting with my toes in the sand, the sun warming my skin, and the smell of salt air invading my airways.  Unfortunately, my family doesn't seem to share the same affinity for the beach as I do, so I either have to coerce them into going, or just go by myself!

Whenever I do end up dragging the kids to the beach, I always have to remind them not to feed the sea gulls.  Of all the things there are to do in the midst of God's big playground and pool, they seem to find it more fun to feed nuisance birds! 

For those of you who have spent some time at the beach, you'll know why one shouldn't feed the sea gulls.  Yes, it's cute watching them eat cheese curls or bread from your sandwich.  What's not cute is having to have an impromptu science lesson about how quickly the digestive tracks of sea gulls works as they fly away and deposit an offensive present on your head or beach towel!

There are so many things in life that seem just as cute and harmless, but end up leaving a big pile of hurt in our laps when all is said and done. 
  • We think the first cigarette surely won't lead to a lifetime of smoking. 
  • We're certain the cute guy in high school who has absolutely no moral compass or convictions just has to be the right one for us to marry. 
  • We're convinced that partying through college won't affect our grades or reputation.
  • We think that neglecting regular worship opportunities due to other obligations or festivities won't affect our children's faith in the future.
  • We're certain that a little bit of debt here and a little bit of debt there won't add up to a mountain of bills that we realistically can't afford.
  • We're sure the subtle flirting that we participate in with a co-worker won't lead to eventual infidelity.
We're all probably guilty of some of those things.  We're guilty of looking through our rose colored glasses, only to be eaten up by thorns whenever reality sets in.

The wise writer of Proverbs tells us that many times we are deceived and swayed by our desires.  Perhaps we can't fully see what lies on the other side of the road, so we go with a gut instinct and make a choice based on emotion or pleasure. 

A few verses prior to our focal verse says:

"The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception."  Prov. 14:8

If we're truly desiring to possess Godly wisdom, we're going to strive to not make our decisions on a whim.  We're going to think through the ramifications of our choices.  We're also more likely to do these three very important things:
  • Seek Godly Advice
  • Seek God's Word
  • Seek God's Guidance in Prayer 
Jesus tells us in the New Testament that the paths that lead to life are straight and narrow.  You can guarantee that the choices we make in this life that are out of God's will are going to cause us to swerve and veer haphazardly through life.

So, maybe you've made some of those disastrous choices at some point in time.  Did you learn from them?  Have you learned that seeking God in your decision making will always provide a straighter path to walk down? 

Hear me when I say that I have made my fair share of decisions on a whim . . .  and I still make them from time to time!  However, I have learned that it's always wiser to slow down and let God be a part of  every decision, no matter how big or how small it is.

If you have a decision that is facing you today, don't rely on your own wisdom, but seek God's through prayer and through His Word.  Seek those wise and Godly people that He has placed in your life to bounce your ideas off of.  Choose the path that doesn't cause you to veer to the right or the left, but rather the straight and narrow path that leads to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...