Skip to main content

The View From My Window

"All mankind will fear; they will proclaim the works of God and ponder what he has done."  Psalm 64:9

Last fall whenever the agony of loss was at its peak, I would lay on my bed and stare out my bedroom window.  I don't know exactly what it was about doing that that calmed me and gave me strength . . . 

Perhaps it was seeing the way the gentle breeze ruffled the leaves on the soybean plants in the field beside our house . . . 

Or maybe it was staring out into our neighbors old barn that allowed me to ponder of better days gone by and how the family unit used to be the very heartbeat of every person's life.

I still catch myself peering out my window from time to time.  I'll watch the birds jump from the grass to the stalks of grain in the field and steal away some prize morsels of wheat for a midday snack.  As I think about how our loving God so graciously supplies every need for those little birds, I'm also reminded of how He has supplied, and continues to supply, all of my needs as well.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?" 
Matt. 6:26

As I gaze out my window, I'm reminded of blessing after blessing that I've been given.  I often say that I'm "overly blessed" because I truly am so undeserving of the blessings he's bestowed on me.  I'm so undeserving of the many blessings that he so generously pours out that it makes me want to graciously share some of those blessings with others.

"Freely you have received, freely give." 
Matt. 10:8b

The view from my window shows me that life is good. It reminds me of my favorite brand of t-shirts that I wear.  I love to wear the "Life is Good" t-shirts for multiple reasons.  Out of all of the trivial reasons, like their vintage, well-worn feel, the main reason I like to wear them is because they proclaim positivity to a predominately negative world.  Perhaps I will encounter someone while wearing one who has a negative perspective on life.  My hope is that my shirt, in addition to my spirit and countenance, will show them that life really isn't all that bad, in fact, it's pretty good.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."
Prov. 17:22

The view from my window reminds me that it doesn't rain always.  It reminds me of the days that I would peer out the window with unmanageable tears streaming down my face from pain and despair, but

PRAISE GOD,

it's not raining anymore!!!  One of my favorite lines in my all-time favorite movie/musical, The Sound of Music, is when Maria (Julie Andrews) says to the broken-hearted Liesl, "You will cry a little, and then you wait for the sun to come out tomorrow.  It always will."  My God has never forsaken me and has always sent the sun to shine down on me after times of heavy rain.
 
"He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the
righteous and the unrighteous." 
Matt. 5:45b

I hope that as you take some time to sit back, reflect, and gaze out the window of your life that you see God's Hand all over it.  I hope you see how he's provided for you physically, spiritually, and emotionally. 

If it is raining out your window right now, I pray that you will trust in His promise to make the sun shine again.  If the sun is shining brightly on your life, praise Him and thank Him for His unwavering faithfulness to His promises! 

What does the view from your window look like?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin