Skip to main content

Property of God

"For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."  1 Cor. 6:20

I have to admit that one of my weaknesses is shoe shopping.  Perhaps I should call it something besides "shopping" because I don't even have to buy a single pair in order to get excited.  I truly have all the shoes I could ever need in my closet, so now whenever I go to the shoe store, I'm perfectly content with trying on five or six pairs and walking out of the store empty handed.  This makes my hubby so happy!

I have all different kinds of shoes.  I have some that are casual and comfy, and then there are those that are definitely more concerned with being fashionable than being comfortable.  I have house shoes, outside shoes, and pool shoes.  However, out of all of the shoes that I have, they all have one thing in common.  This is not a great piece of wisdom that I'm getting ready to share . . . but hold on . . . here it is . . .

My shoes go wherever I tell them to go!

Whenever I purchased each pair of my shoes, I then gained full control over them and they are at my mercy!  As trivial as that sounds, this concept holds true for Christians everywhere who have been purchased by God via the blood that Christ shed for our salvation.

Whenever I became a Christian and recognized that I was bought with a price, I then became the property of an Almighty and all-knowing God.  My life was purchased by Someone who would know the absolute perfect plan for my life.  He would be capable of guiding me through tough situations and would desire to navigate every course that I should take.

As silly as it sounds, none of the shoes in my closet have ever refused to go wherever I have told them to go!  I own them!  They go wherever I tell them to!

Likewise, our lives belong to God.  Instead of us making the choices all of the time, we should be going where He sends us and doing whatever He asks of us.  If I am truly the property of God, then my decisions and plans should reflect God's decisions and plans. 

It actually makes me a little relieved.  You see, on my own, I know that I am bound to mess up and make choices that will be to my detriment.  But, if I am following God's plan and seeking after choices that He would have me make, then I will never go wrong!

The beautiful result of recognizing that we belong to God is that He will be glorified through our lives whenever we're following Him and His way for our lives.  Whenever we are going where He sends us and abiding in His perfect will, it will be inevitable that the people around us will want to know what makes us different than everyone else who makes decisions on a whim and follows whatever looks flashy and appealing.

If God has bought you at a price does He have full ownership of you?

Do the choices you make reflect His plan or your plan for your life?

Is God being glorified through your life because of the way you are living out His will?

If you haven't given God full control over every aspect of your life, take some time today to recommit your life to His perfect plan.  His plan will never fail you and will always be far better than any plan you or I could ever concoct ourselves!  You were bought at a price . . . does your life reflect that purchase?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin