Skip to main content

He's Still Workin' on Me

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."  Phil. 3:12

This past Sunday, my daughter and two of her friends were given the very special task of singing the special music for our church on Father's Day.  Let's just say that there wasn't enough Kleenex to go around! 

Not much has changed because whenever I was a child, our church loved nothing better than to see the two little preacher's kids stand up in front of everyone and sing a special song.  The song that seemed to be the most requested at that time was a sweet little song by Joel Hemphill entitled "He's Still Working on Me", or as I sang it in my fine southern accent, "He's Still Workin' on Me"!  The chorus goes like this:

"He's still working on me
To make me what I ought to be
It took him just a week to make the moon and stars
The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars
How loving and patient He must be
'Cause He's still workin' on me."


I have to be honest with you, I really had no clue what that song meant whenever I was a child.  I sang it because everyone thought it was cute and they would grin great big at us while we sang and then clapped nice and loud whenever we were finished.  I just figured that it was a song about kid's growing up and then one day when we were adults, God would finish working on us and we'd be exactly how He'd want us.  Boy, was I wrong! 

I was wrong because He continues to work on me!  Not only does He continue to work on me today, but I now know that His construction job on my life never ceases.  My life is a literal work in progress whenever it comes to my faith and my walk with Him.

One of my favorite lines from "He's Still Working on Me" says:

"There really oughta be a sign upon my heart:  "Don't judge me yet, there's an unfinished part.""

Oh, that I could make signs to go around and stick on everyone's shirts that says:  Don't judge me . . . God's still working on me!

I am convinced that the majority of Christians fall into one of two camps.  They either fall into the camp where their faith is standing still and basically stagnant or waning.  Or, they fall into the camp where they demean the growth they have made in their walk with God because they compare themselves to a fellow Christian who appears to be much stronger in their faith.  Unfortunately, I don't see many Christians who are truly allowing God to work on them and who are not yielding to the temptation of comparing themselves to others.

You are where you are because of what God has allowed to transpire in your life.  Take those situations, stop comparing yourself to your neighbor, and press on in your walk with the Lord and let Him work in your life.  The life that God desires for you to live can only be lived by you and your situations and circumstances can't compare to anyone else's.

Paul told the church at Philipi that in no way was his walk with the Lord perfect, but he was pressing forward everyday until he reached the goal line in Heaven.  Even Paul realized that he was a work in progress!  As fruitful of a believer that Paul was, he never got to the point where God wasn't molding his heart and working on trouble spots.

Sometimes I feel as if I take two steps forward and then one step back.  But you know what . . . even if I continue moving at that pace, my faith is not growing stagnant or waning, but it is gradually moving forward.  I have to keep my eyes on what God is doing in my life, and not let my focus shift to the person down the road who appears to be a spiritual giant.

Are you continuing to allow God to work in your life?  Your heart should be an open canvas and your life should be an ongoing work in progress.  If your faith is stagnant or if you have fallen into the trap of comparing your faith to someone else's, choose to let God begin a new work in your life today.  We've all got unfinished parts, and we always will!  Hand one of those parts to Him and let Him begin some reconstruction in your life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin