Skip to main content

Silence

"A time to be silent and a time to speak."  Ecclesiastes 3:7b

Sometimes we all just need to be quiet.  Yes, there are those times whenever an argument will only be resolved if one party chooses to remain silent.  And yes, there are those times when the content or subject of a conversation is such that would be best if we didn't participate in it.  But the need for silence that I'm referring to is when our spirit is failing to hear the voice of God and silence might be the only way we can hear Him.

Our world is so very loud and we all contribute in our own way to the noise of the world.  I tend to have the type of personality that will participate in just about any conversation that is taking place around me.  Unfortunately, the voices around me are so much louder than the unassuming, respectful, quiet voice of God.  I often tend to miss hearing God's voice because of the magnitude of noise that is filling my ears on a daily basis.

In an effort to hear God's voice in a very clear and intentional way, I've tried to avoid unnecessary words, even written words.  I could have easily sat down at my computer and "phoned in" a devotional for the past couple of days, using my own direction rather than God's, but my heart's desire is to hear His voice and follow His lead.  In my desire to have a heart that is wholly devoted to God, I can't follow the mantra of the world, which advises us to

"Fake it 'til you make it!".

That philosophy might be accepted in society, but as Christians, we can't fake the voice of God.  We are either hearing it, or we're not.  We're either quiet before Him, or we're not.

I love the way Eugene Peterson's interpretation of the Bible, The Message, expresses this idea of listening for the voice of God.  His interpretation of the ever popular verse "Be still and know that I am God" in Psalm 46:10 is put in these very down to earth terms:

"Step out of the traffic!  Take a long, loving look at me, your High God,
above politics, above everything."

I hope you understand my hearts desire for "stepping out of the traffic" for a few days.  I wonder if perhaps you, too, need to step out of the traffic and listen for God. 

Have you heard God's still, small voice speak to you lately?

Are the noises that fill your ears at work, home, or even church overpowering the voice of God? 

Are you speaking, but really need to be silent?

While being faithful to a "Quiet Time" everyday is important, it will not necessarily take the place of being quiet and still before God during the other twenty-three and a half hours of your day.  If the noise of your surroundings are overpowering the quiet voice of God, then perhaps you need to intentionally take some time to be still and quiet before Him.  Out of all of the noise and voices that fill your ears each day, His voice is the most important of them all.

Comments

  1. I will never forget during one of your messages on a Sunday night me asking God why he was not answering my prayer. The answer came through your Dad's message that maybe I was not listening. I asked your Dad that night at alter call if I could start teaching in the church Sunday school room until I could get things figured out. I need to be reminded to listed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalms 46:10 is a passage that I have realized that I need to read daily...even though I have even purchased a pillow to hang on my bedroom door........with this verse on it......to read daily...I continually fail to obey......but even admitting guilt....the failures are mine and the days that were successful are His....,.so I take His words here as great comfort and praise His continual care. Thanks again for confirmation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin