Skip to main content

Subtle Reminders of God's Faithfulness

"These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever."  Joshua 4:7c

Hope.  That's not just another word in the dictionary for me.  'Hope' was the middle name my husband and I had picked out for the baby we lost several months ago.  We were never told that the baby was in fact a girl, but in my heart of hearts, something tells me that it was. 

Ironically, the word 'hope' has become a word of comfort for me when I hear it, not a word that reminds me of sadness.  It's a word that reminds me of the healing that has taken place in my heart since the time that it was so badly broken.  It's a word that reminds me of how faithful God is and how He walked beside me the through some very dark days. 

Within the past few months, I've come in contact with many 'Hope's.' My husband has had two different nurses during a recent medical procedure whose names were 'Hope.' I've seen store clerks with that name and it just seems to pop up everywhere from jewelry to billboards.  About three days after my miscarriage, a friend brought by a decorative stone with the word 'Hope' etched into it, not knowing the significance of that word.  Every time I hear the word 'Hope', it's a subtle reminder of God's faithfulness to me.

For me, hearing the word 'hope' is very much like the reminder that the children of Israel had when they would look upon the twelve stones that were removed from the middle of the Jordan River.  These stones were removed to serve as a reminder to them of their passing through the Jordan on dry land with the Ark of the Covenant.

The Bible gives us so many examples of people who have been delivered from disparaging situations or healed from horrible diseases.  Each of those people would have had a visual reminder of the Lord's presence in their lives every time they passed by the place where it occurred. 

Think about:
  • How the paralytic man felt every time he walked by the house where his friends had lowered him through the roof to be healed by Jesus.
  • How Mary, Martha, & Lazarus felt when they would see the tomb where Lazarus had been buried, only to be raised four days later by Jesus.
  • How each of the 5000+ people felt every time they saw the mountainside where Jesus filled their bellies with a mere five loaves of bread and two fish.
  • How the blind beggar felt every time he passed through the city gates of Jericho and was able to see the spot he sat whenever Jesus healed his sight.
  • How the woman who had been caught in adultery felt every time she walked past the temple courts where Jesus freed her from the stoning she was about to receive.
Each of those people had visual reminders of God's faithfulness to them.  I have a feeling that their encounter with God was so amazing that every time the memory of their healing was brought to their mind, I imagine their hearts were overwhelmed with thanksgiving all over again.

I'm sure you are no different than me and all of those people in the Bible.  I'm certain God has brought you through a valley and gives you reminders along the way of life of His faithfulness to you.  It might not be the mention of a name like it is for me or the sight of a stone from a river like the Israelites, but:
  • Perhaps it's hearing a song that was sung at a loved one's funeral. 
  • Perhaps it's a scar that reminds you of an illness or a surgery where God held your hand during a scary time. 
  • Perhaps it's the sight of where a traffic accident occurred where a friend or family member was taken out of this world.
  • Perhaps it's a date on the calendar when you recall the resolution of a marriage or the date of a deceased parent's birthday.
Has God proven faithful and brought you through a valley?  Thank Him for those gentle reminders of His goodness and love.  Let those reminders produce thanksgiving in your heart and on your lips.  Perhaps you need to share your testimony with someone who has not yet come through to the other side of their valley and needs to hear some encouraging words of God's faithfulness.

Comments

  1. For me it is a song - Because He Lives. When we took the youth to work at a homeless shelters in DC one of the men in the shelter would request the youth to sing it for him several times each day. Then the congregation and family sang it at Grandma Lucy's funeral. Now I remember the feeling of comfort every time we sing it at church. I am sure God sends you those tokens of Hope for your comfort. I know you are reaching others and sending hope to them with your writings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin