Skip to main content

A Lesson From An Ant

"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!  It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."  Proverbs 6:6-8

Whenever I open up a new window within Internet Explorer, the initial page that opens up shows  me about eight of my most recently viewed websites.  As I scroll over each website listed, it then tells me what my activity level has been on each site.  It will say either "Very Active," "Active," or "Less Active."

I began to think.  What would it look like if God scrolled His divine little mouse over my life and it revealed my activity level for each of my life's various activities?  I wonder if I would be shocked by any areas that revealed a "Very Active" participation or disappointed in those that showed "Less Active."

I think we fool ourselves into thinking that we're more productive with our time than we actually are.  Our down time gets filled with idle social networking and television watching.  Before we know it, hours have passed and we have nothing to show for multiple hours of our day.

A popular Superbowl commercial has recently reminded us that there are certain livelihoods that don't afford the luxury of copious amounts of free time.  As we can learn something from the farmer, the writer of Proverbs would also suggest that we could learn something from the tiny ant.

God designed those little insects with the innate discipline to be diligent to accomplish their daily tasks and the ability to avoid unnecessary idleness.  Ants don't allow themselves to become distracted by useless temptations, but rather every distraction presents an opportunity to further provide for the future.

Hear me when I say that I'm not suggesting that we spend all of our time working our fingers to the bone and burning the candle at both ends.  What I am suggesting is that we keep our priorities in proper perspective. 

For instance:
  • Facebook time is perfectly fine, but make sure Facebook doesn't replace your time spent in the Good Book.
  • Watching television is enjoyable, but make sure it doesn't take the place of quality family time spent talking and sharing about things that really matter.
  • Web surfing, game playing, and reading are all great activities, as long as they don't take the place of time spent in meditation and prayer.
Someone once said that you can tell what a person's priorities are by looking through their checkbook and seeing how they spend their money.  Well, I also think we can tell what they are by looking at their date book and seeing how they spend their time. 

Take a moment to assess how your idle time is spent.  If you're like me, you could probably turn some things off a little more often and be about something of greater significance. 

Ask God to show you where your priorities seem to lie based on how your time is spent.  Ask Him to help you be a better steward of your time so that He can be glorified in every aspect of your day.  Ask Him to gently guide you away from things that need to be avoided and to lovingly direct you towards things of greater value.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin