Skip to main content

Got Enemies?

"But I tell you who hear me:  Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."  Luke 6:27-28

I'd like to think that I haven't made very many enemies in my lifetime.  I'd also like to think that I am not considered to be an enemy to someone else!  Unfortunately, when I'm honest with myself and see what Christ has to say, I know for certain that I have enemies. 

Jesus took the time in His ministry to spell out who our neighbors are whenever He was was asked by a Jewish scholar about how to inherit eternal life.  The scholar acknowledged that he already knew that we are supposed to love our neighbors, but he pressed Jesus to clarify who our neighbors are.  Jesus then teaches the parable of the good Samaritan and lets the scholar deduce that a neighbor is anyone in need.

Well, Jesus not only takes the time to define who our neighbors are, but He also very clearly tells us in Scripture who an enemy might be.  Although not prompted by a teacher of the law, He must have known that we would need some specifics!

He tells us in Luke 6:27-36 that our enemies are people who:
  • Hate us
  • Curse us  
  • Physically injure us
  • Steal from us
  • Mistreat us
I'm thankful that in the course of my life, it has been on very rare occasions where I've felt hated or cursed.  It has also been rare occurrences for me to have been injured by someone else or stolen from.  However, I have been mistreated many times and I'm sure you have, too.

I've been mistreated by strangers in public, by fellow believers at church, by co-workers and classmates, and by friends and family.  I think if Jesus were to speak plainly to us, He would say:

EXPECT TO BE MISTREATED IN THIS LIFE!  EXPECT TO HAVE ENEMIES!

So when we are mistreated, how do we treat those who have treated us badly?  Well, Jesus answers that question in our focal verse and the subsequent eight verses.  He really wants to get our attention, so He begins this portion of His discourse by essentially saying:

"Hear me now!"  (that's what my Dad always says in his sermons when he's getting ready to say something really important!)

Then He tells us to: 
  • Love them (v. 27)
  • Do good to them (v. 27)
  • Bless them (v. 28)
  • Pray for them (v. 28)
  • Give to them (v. 30)
  • Lend your possessions to them (v. 35)
  • Show mercy to them (v. 36)
I know, you're sarcastically thinking to yourself, "Is that all?"!  This concept of loving our enemies is so important to Christ's teaching that He goes above and beyond to make it very clear how we're supposed to treat someone who has mistreated us. 

Allow me to hone in on only one of the practical applications that Jesus gives us.  In verse 28, Jesus says:
". . . pray for those who mistreat you."
 
We previously acknowledged that we all have been mistreated by many people many times.  I hesitate to say that my immediate response is to pray for them.  Is it yours?   Whenever I have stopped to pray for someone who has mistreated me, what I have realized is that it is very difficult to harbor hatred and ill feelings towards someone that I am bringing before the throne.  Praying for our enemies is almost like a natural home remedy to the hostility that we might feel in our heart.
 
Christ tells us that it's easy to love our neighbors.  It's so easy that even the sinners can do it well.  The way we prove that we're different from the world is when we love those who are difficult to love.
 
Let me challenge you to take a moment right now to think of someone who you could classify as an enemy.  Will you spend some time praying for them?  Also, pray that your heart and the heart of the other person would be open to forgiveness and restoration.  In doing so, Christ will be glorified and you will be amazed how God begins to work in your relationships with those who you once considered to be enemies.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin