Skip to main content

Speaking God's Love Language: Words of Affirmation

"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.  Praise the Lord."  Psalm 150:6

Dr. Gary Chapman's best-selling book, The Fire Love Languages, is based on the concept that each person has an innate desire to receive love in one of five ways.  These five ways (or "languages," as he refers to them) are:  Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Acts of Service, Gifts, and Physical Touch.

After some time reflecting on what my personal love language is and the love language of my husband, I realized that God speaks each and every one of the five love languages to each of us.  So, if God speaks in each of these five ways to us, shouldn't those who love Him aspire to speak them all fluently back to Him?  Everyday this week  I am going to focus on each of the five love languages and how we as followers of a Loving and Holy God can learn to express love to Him in the same way He expresses it to us.

Words of Affirmation

Our words are powerful.  I know how much it means to me when someone speaks kind and encouraging words that lift my spirit and brighten my day.  Those kind words always mean the most when they come from people I love.  I am in awe that God would speak those words to me.

God's Word is so full of affirming verses that speak words of love into our life.  He affirms our very being and gives us words that strengthen us to endure.  Here are a few examples of the words of affirmation that He speaks to us in His Word:
  • Your life has worth:  "You were bought at a price." 1 Corinthians 6:20a
  • You have been chosen by God:  "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.  In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ."  Ephes. 1:4-5a
  • He loves you:  "I have loved you with an everlasting love." Jeremiah 31:3b
  • He cares for you:  "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  1 Peter 5:7
  • You can do it!:  "I (you) can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Phil. 4:13
  • You are beautiful:  "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."  Gen. 1:27
So, if God sees the importance of showing love through the words that He speaks, then our words should also be affirming when we speak to Him.  In a nutshell, this is called,

PRAISE! 

I've studied and read many theories of what our prayers should consist of, and one thing everyone can agree on is that our prayers should include praises.  Even Jesus began the Disciple's Prayer with a praise to His Heavenly Father.

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name."  Matt. 6:9b
 
What are some things that you should praise and affirm God for?  This list is in no way exhaustive, but it will give you something to start with:
  • His everlasting love
  • Beauty of creation
  • Freedom from sin
  • Keeping His promises
  • His sacrificial gift of His son
  • Blessings of family, friends, health, & job 
  • His compassion & generosity
The book of Psalms is filled with praises to God.  I challenge you to read the affirming words of Psalm 104 today and make it a prayer of praise from your heart.  Perhaps you need to commit to make time everyday for a time of prayer that consists of nothing but praises to a God who is so worthy of our praise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin