Skip to main content

Speaking God's Love Language: Physical Touch

"Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." 
Matthew 25:40b

Since I was a child, I've always envied the little children who grew up during the time of Jesus' ministry.  You know, those children who clamored around Jesus prior to the disciples attempt to 'shoo' them away.  I wanted to be one of those children!  I wanted to have the great privilege of crawling up into Jesus' lap and maybe even stroking His hair with my fingers, as little girls like to do.  Well, unfortunately, I was born almost 2000 years too late!

You and I might not have had the opportunity to physically crawl into the lap of God or even grasp for the hem of His garment, but we do have the opportunity to touch the very heart of God.  Jesus tells us in the verse above that whatever we physically do for someone here on Earth, then we're essentially doing it for Him.
  • When we wrap our arms around someone who needs encouragement, it's as if we've just embraced God.
  • When we grab the hands of a friend who is in need of prayer, it's as if we've just held the Hands of God. 
  • When we cuddle a child in our lap and show them the love of God, it's as if we've just loved on God.
  • When we extend a hand to a homeless person or through the bars of a jail cell, it's as if we've just held our hand out to God.
So we can't travel back in time and walk hand in hand with Jesus, but look at all we can do to touch the heart of God right here and right now!  What's great about how all of this works is that while we are touching the heart of God, we are also being a blessing to someone in need.

Have you blessed anyone lately with a physical touch?  We never know how much a gentle hug or a pat on the back might mean to someone.  We are surrounded everyday by people who are hurting and in need of encouragement.  Would you be the gentle hands of God today to someone who needs to feel His touch?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...