Skip to main content

What Are You Concealing?

As I slather the concealer on my dark circles every morning, I always think about my paternal grandmother. She is the beautiful lady that I get to thank for these troublesome dark circles. It doesn’t matter if I get fourteen uninterrupted hours of sleep a night, the dark circles will be there to greet me when I get up. I have a feeling that my daughter, Savannah, will have to learn to embrace this same lot in life, thanks to the strong Pearson genes!

Only my family and closest friends have seen what lies beneath the concealer.  Just as I try to cover up all of the imperfections on my face each morning, I have to be honest and admit that I have some other imperfections that I tend to only let hang out around the people I love the most.  You know what I'm talking about:  

  • Having a short fuse
  • Gossiping (with my closest sisters in Christ, of course)
  • Disrespecting my husband
  • Being slow to forgive (yet expect quick forgiveness for my grievances)
  • Need I go on?
Oh, but Heaven forbid me act in any of these ways in front of acquaintances at church or strangers in public.  They all have to think that I'm the perfect wife, mom, and Christian, while the people that I love the most bear the brunt of my sins -- let's just call a spade a spade.  They're sins, not just imperfections.

While I'm not suggesting that we all waltz into church on Sunday and act our absolute worst to sort of even the score, I am convinced that we should all sit back and assess how we treat those we love the most. 

When Jesus answered the Pharisees' question in Matthew 22:34-40 about which was the greatest commandment, He knew that He couldn't stop with just one commandment.  He threw the second one in there for good measure.  He told them:

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Well, can we get any closer neighbors than the people who live in our very own house?  Jesus' words can truly cut deep, especially if you take the time to recount your words and actions over the last 24 to 48 hours towards the people you're close to.  If you're honest, you've treated the cashier at the grocery store with more grace than you have shown your own family. 

I'm sure there are many reasons why this is the case for most of us, but honestly, they are all unacceptable excuses.  God desires for our homes and our relationships to honor Him.  If you are in need of a makeover inside the four walls of your home, go to God right now and confess your need for Him to have His perfect way in your heart and life.  What's amazing about our God is that He doesn't just conceal what is dark in our lives, He can radically change it into something beautiful.

Comments

  1. Pray for me....I'm not very nice to the clerks anymore...this journey has taken a toll on my person...I have spent the majority of my life .....wanting to love and be loved....then for a few years....thought that I had ...got it right....that I wanted people to see God....not me......then....my life fell apart....now after two years.....with and only...because of our Lord.......... I am making my way back to Him...you are now part of my journey...thank you,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...