Skip to main content

From the Mountaintops to the Valleys

Have you ever felt simultaneous joy and sorrow before?  You know, where your heart is full of elation and sorrow at the exact same time.

Perhaps it was a situation that was occurring in your own life, or maybe it was emotions you were feeling on behalf of others.

My heart is full of praise and thanksgiving today after hearing about what God has done to fully restore a marriage that was under attack and knocking at the door of divorce.

Yet, at the same time, my heart is breaking for a family who has not yet seen the miracle of repentance and restoration in their home and the pain is very raw and the future is very uncertain.
 
"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." 
Romans 12:15

Regardless of what the circumstance is, God wants us to understand that when we are truly offering ourselves as living sacrifices to Him, it will be visible by how good of a friend we are.

Unfortunately, I've seen people who have trouble with one or both parts of that verse.  Some people find it hard to be joyful in light of someone else's triumphs.  And others are unable to offer comfort to those going through trials.

Perhaps we don't rejoice with others as we should because of our own selfish nature. 

  • Did your co-worker get a promotion, and out of jealousy, you can't bring yourself to wish them a hearty "Congratulations"? 
  • Does your bitterness from the effects of a poor economy bring you spite, rather than joy, for a neighbor who appears to be doing well financially?
  • Does your friend's joy from their child's success in school stir up emotions of envy or delight for you?

And perhaps we are hesitant to weep with others because of self-doubt, or maybe even retaliation.  Do these questions run through your mind?

  • What if I say the wrong thing and make the situation worse?
  • What if they just want to be left alone right now?
  • Why should I weep with them when they weren't there for me during my trial?

Stop right now and examine whether you fall into either of these two camps.  If you do (and we all probably have in some way or another), take some time to confess that to God and ask Him to mold your heart to look like His -- one that is full of love and compassion.

I hope you have been blessed with one or more friends who have been a clear picture of what Romans 12:15 looks like with skin on.  If so, stop and thank God for placing those people in your life.  Then take a moment to send an email, text, or note of thanks to at least one person who has walked with you through the valleys or sat beside you at the peak of the mountaintop. 

I have been overly blessed with wonderful friends who have exemplified this verse. My prayer is that I return the blessing to them, and with all others I come in contact with along life's journey.

Is there someone in your life that needs you to rejoice with them?  Or, is it time to grab a tissue box and weep with a friend who is hurting?

Comments

  1. It is sad most of our friends are not "real" in the sense that they are truly happy for our good stuff and truly sad when we are sad. That stuck with me from our study of Jonah - that he was perturbed when God decided to do good things for the people of Ninevah. I thankful for those of my friends that are real - and so thankful you are one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very painful study today......I have been guilty and a victim on both groups of questions.....thank you for the thought of reconcilliaton on these matters that I'm beginning to deal with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin