Skip to main content

It Is Well . . . Or Is It?

On many occasions over the last few months, I have thought about the Shunammite woman whose story we see in 2 Kings 4:8-37.  You see, I felt like I identified with her in one way, and then completely coveted her faith in another way.  Here's a brief synopsis of her story, focusing on the parts that pertain to mine.

2 Kings tells us that the Shunammite woman and her husband had shown great hospitality to the prophet, Elisha, and during one of their visits together, Elisha prophesied that the woman and her husband would bear a son within a year's time.  I can imagine her elation after hearing this news.  As a woman in Old Testament times, her future well-being lay in the hands of the children she would bear, but most importantly, the son she would bear.  She was obviously so desiring a child that she even looked at Elisha after his prophecy and said, "Are you for real?  Don't joke with me!" (my own translation!)

This is the portion of the story that I can identify with.  In December of 2011, I felt like God had placed a burning desire in my heart to see our family grow once again.  We had been blessed with two amazing children already, and where my love for babies never diminished through the years, the maternity clothes and car seats were long gone and we had become content with our little family of four. When the desire didn't wane, and when my dear husband and I questioned God on various occasions asking, "Are you for real?", we realized that it was very likely that within a year's time, we would have another child.

The Shunammite's story continues and she sees the prophecy fulfilled as she bears a son.  When the son had grown older, he became ill and Scripture tells us that he died.  Her response to the news of his death is where we see a stark contrast between her faith and mine.  Upon hearing of his death, her immediate thought was to fetch the prophet Elisha, and when asked if everything was OK, she says,

"It is well."

It is well, really?  The son that she had longed for and who had been prophesied by the man of God was now dead.  How could all be well?  Her whole future could be in jeopardy, but yet her faith is allowing her to say that all is well.  What's amazing about this is that I don't believe she's faking this.  I truly believe that she had the faith that all would be well and that life would be restored to her son's body.  Where did this unbelievable faith come from?

You see, this is where I fall short of this beautiful woman of God.  After two miscarriages and a year passing with no baby in my arms, there have been many times where I hear her words echoing in my head, but I don't feel them in my heart.  I've even uttered them with my mouth, but I knew as soon as the words were spoken that I was lying.  In the midst of my darkest times, I so desired to be like this woman who could look down the barrel of a really dark day and say, "It is well."  I longed to be like Paul and feel that I could truly thank God for the suffering that I was experiencing, but counting it as joy was the furthest thing from my lips. 

Can I offer some redemption for those of you who might be like me and feel like your faith is insufficient for the trials that you face?  Our wonderful God wants to renew your faith.  Just as He is the Creator of all things, He is willing and able to create a renewed and strengthened faith in you.  I stand before you now with a brand new faith, a faith that I wouldn't have ever desired had I not gone through the trials that I did.  I can never go back to the day where my faith was tested and utter the words, "It is well," but I can face today and say it.  I also have the hope that when the next trial comes, my first response will be,

"It is well."

One of my favorite hymns is "It Is Well With My Soul".  They used to just be words on a page that I sang with merely an admiration for, but those same words now have a new meaning.  Can you honestly say today that all is well with your soul?  If your faith seems weak, ask the Maker of the Heavens and Earth to renew your weary faith.  He is the God of creation and He is desiring to create something new in your life today.

Comments

  1. You and your life are a blessing to me and I know your words will be a blessing to those who read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of us want to question "Why me Lord?" well, why not me! I am reminded of how Jesus suffered on this earth. I feel our trials are our living testimony of our relationship with God as well as our faith in Him. I sometimes feel I do not grow stronger but more humble through my trials. I guess God feels this is what I need most. However, God I am asking for strengh as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is well with my soul! I praise God that we can say that because no matter what we are faced with in life, we never have to go it alone. Our wonderful, heavenly Father is there to comfort and sustain us. What a marvelous God we serve. He also blesses us with great friends, and I am so thankful to count you as one of God's very best blessings in my life. Your blog is wonderful I am so thankful that you have been obedient in the leading of the Holy Spirit. I love you my dear friend and look forward to your blog as it encourages and blesses many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still in the midst of battle......in many areas of my life.....it will be well.....is more like it....I hang on to the promises that I believe in......Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin