Skip to main content

I've Seen a Miracle . . . And You Have, Too

One of the joys of homeschooling is that I get to relive my childhood by reading through many of my favorite childhood books with my kids.  Savannah and I have been reading the ever popular, Charlotte's Web

Well, I saw God in this classic children's book.  As 8 year-old Fern's fascination with Wilbur and all the other animals at Mr. Zuckerman's farm grows stronger by the day, her mother grows extremely worried about Fern's mental state as she comes home speaking of talking animals and spiders writing words in their web.  She decides it's time to go see Fern's doctor and tell him about all of this strange behavior.

And this is where a children's book becomes an encounter with our miraculous God.  After Fern's mother tells the doctor about the spider's web with the words spun into it, the fine country doctor looks at her and says that the miracle isn't in the words that are spun into the spider's web, but in the web itself.  He reminds her that no one teaches a young spider how to spin a web, yet somehow it knows exactly what to do.

So, you say you've never seen a miracle?  Think about all of the many aspects of creation that are truly unexplainable, aside from God:
  • If' you've seen snow released from the storehouses above, you've seen a miracle of God.
  • If you've been to the beach and seen how God holds the waters back at the shore, you've seen a miracle of God.
  • If you've witnessed a child being brought into this world, you've seen a miracle of God.
  • If you've watched how birds instinctively know how to build a nest or fly in a V-Pattern to maximize wind speed, you've seen a miracle of God.
  • If you've seen a puppy, kitten, calf, foal, or any other mammal know exactly where to go to find nourishment from its mother, you've seen a miracle of God.
  • If you've seen a mountain stream, which provides life sustaining water to the animals in nature, you've seen a miracle of God.
Look around.  God's hand is everywhere showing you one miracle after another.  We sing about how awesome God is in the song, "Indescribable," but if we aren't careful, we will merely have words coming off of our lips if we don't stop and listen to what we're singing. 

Our God tells every lightning bolt where to go (Job 36:32). 

He has Heavenly storehouses filled with snow (Job 37:6).   

He imagined the sun and gives it light (Genesis 1:14-17).

He placed the stars in the sky and knows them by name (Psalm 147:4).

Are you in awe of our powerful and indescribable God today?  If you need to be reminded of how awesome He is, take some time to read Psalm 104 and you will witness some of His handiwork. 

His miracles can be seen all around you.  Stop and take the time to notice some of them today, then spend some time praising Him for how truly amazing He is.



Comments

  1. Thanks Stac for the reminder that miracles are all around us everyday. I needed that! Keep up the good work and be sure to step on someone else's toes every now and then and give mine a rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your toes! Maybe they'll get better over the weekend!

      Delete
  2. I will....thank you.... I will take the girls out for a walk...and talk....and I will use the bible to show the truth of it all... Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin