Skip to main content

A Divided Heart

Ever since I was around the age of twelve or thirteen, my heart has had a mind of its own.  Where most people's hearts happily beat around sixty times per minute, I'm lucky if mine ever gets any lower than one hundred beats a minute.  While the side-effects from such a boisterous heart rate are sporadic and minimal, my doctor tells me that there is a minor heart procedure that could possibly fix my problem.  I have avoided the procedure for various reasons, but primarily because my doctor can't give me any certainty that it will work on the first attempt and she won't have to repeat the procedure multiple times.

As I think about how my physical heart needs to be monitored and potentially needs some fine tuning, my spiritual heart is just as vulnerable and needs a daily dose of attention.  I ashamedly admit that my heart's loyalties through the years have varied from one extreme to another.  From being a die hard "New Kids on the Block" fan in the eighties to appreciating designer coffee drinks over the last few years, my heart has yearned for a myriad of different things, none of which provide any lasting or eternal value to my life. 

The psalmist tells us in Psalms 86:11:

"Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." 

The first time I read that verse, the portion that instantly jumped out at me was the phrase, "Give me an undivided heart."  Oh how my heart can be divided at times.  My priorities and 'to-do lists' can tell the story so well.  Scarily, the divisions that are there happen so naturally and so slowly over time that we don't even realize how divided our heart truly is.  The divisions of your heart are probably different than mine, but here are a few possible things that could be desiring a home in your heart:
  • Social Media
  • Television
  • Sporting Activities
  • Shopping
  • Traveling
  • Food
  • Relationships
  • Money
  • And the list could go on, and on
Our lives are so consumed with the things that this world has to offer that what ends up being left over is what we offer to God, where God wants to be God of it all.  If our heart is divided into sections where each of our loyalties lie, and God has his own individual section, then we never fully gave Him our whole heart.  As followers of Him, our desire should be for Him to fully own and take up residence in every nook and cranny of our hearts and lives.  Are any of those things listed above intrinsically bad?  Of course not.  They all add some sort of value to our lives in one way or another.  What God desires is to have access to it all.  He desires that our devotion to Him be evident in every area of our life.

So, what's the condition of your heart?  Does God reign supreme over it all, or does He have a portioned out section like every other priority in your life? 

Pray Psalm 86:11 with me today.  Pray for an undivided heart.

Comments

  1. So glad you started your blog! Hope I am your first subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. I am so excited to see what God is going to share through your blog and learn those i never knew that about you little tid-bits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your encouragement! I don't really know what I'm doing, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a blessing! I am so proud to call you friend. Our hearts are probably the most vulnerable part of our spiritually body and Satan desires nothing more than to divide it as much as possible. Thank you for this reminder that God desires ALL of my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...