Skip to main content

Two Good Feet and Sealed Lips

Have you ever heard the expression, "I went there to be a blessing to them, but they blessed me more than I could have imagined!"?  That is typically the case whenever someone takes the time to visit or minister to someone who is a close follower of God.  That was the case for me yesterday.

God has blessed me throughout my life with Godly women who have nurtured me and helped mold me in my relationship with Jesus.  The sweet lady I visited yesterday was one of the first glimpses of Kellum Baptist Church I got to see.  She was a member of the Pastor Search Committee that called my husband to be their pastor, nearly ten years ago. 

I vividly remember sitting at a quaint restaurant in Hickory, North Carolina and hearing her speak of love for her family and her church.  She spoke as only a loving Nannie could about her then four grandchildren and the joy it brought her to be able to help care for them.  She spoke as only an obedient follower of Christ could about her love for her church and the ways God was using her to lead the women of the church.

My fondness for her only magnified as we followed God's call and began ministering in the Kellum community of Jacksonville, North Carolina.  I admired her diligence to study and teach God's Word.  I watched her gracefully speak her mind and speak up for Truth.  All in all, I watched her love Jesus.

Now, lying in a hospital bed with a body that has seemed to fail her, her spirit seems to have done what didn't seem possible.  Her already strong spirit seems to have doubled in strength.  It was as if God allowed the strength to be taken from her body and be placed right in her soul.  Her joy-filled face and countenance helps you see beyond the tubes and machines. 

And then . . . she speaks.  Her words are a reflection of an unwavering love for her Lord.  Hearing her say things like,

"If only one person could be brought closer to God because of my situation . . ."

"I'm at peace with all of this . . ."

"God has been so good to my family."

But my favorite and most convicting statement she made was when she told me that she was encouraging one of her nurses to start going back to church.  It was as if the Holy Spirit right then and there whispered in my ear,

"Shame on you, Staci.  You have two good legs, an able body, and a voice to speak with.  Yet you miss so many opportunities to do my will." 

Yes, Lord, I heard you loud and clear. 

I share all of that with you to simply say this: 

You and I are without excuse to do what we have been commissioned to do.  When was the last time we put our two good feet and our functioning mouths into service for Him . . .  and I mean truly in service for Him?  Or, do we have two good feet and lips that seem to be sealed shut when it comes to speaking up for the Lord? 

We're all very quick to speak of our commitment and love to the Lord within the four walls of the church, but what about in the places where life happens.  What about at work, in your neighborhood, in the grocery store . . . does the world outside of your home and your church know that you love Jesus?
  • We say we love Jesus, yet our neighbors have never heard us speak of His love.
  • We say we love Jesus,  yet we bypass the lost person in the store because we're in a hurry.
  • We say we love Jesus, yet our family is in turmoil and we let the world, rather than the WORD fix our problems.
  • We say we love Jesus, yet we have never sacrificed anything to actually go and tell a lost people about Him.
You and I need to make Paul's prayer our own today:

"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains.  Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." 
Ephesians 6:19-20.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that my dear friend in Christ would tell us all to serve Him boldly and unashamedly while we are able.  She would tell us, as Paul did, to speak up for Christ and to share the mystery of His love with everyone we come in contact with.  She would want us to live our lives with no regrets as it pertains to our witness for Christ.

You nor I know what our future holds.  Take this day that you've been blessed with health and life and live it fully for the Lord.

I will pray Paul's prayer on your behalf . . . would you be so kind to pray it on my behalf as well? 

Comments

  1. Yes....I will and do.....again...thank you for your insight....you have touched me.....thank you for your prayers.....I praise my Lord.. my Saviour....my God

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin