Skip to main content

Why Am I Not Spiritually Prepared for Easter?

About a week ago, I shared with my husband that I didn't feel spiritually prepared for Easter. Though I do not religiously practice Lent with the same fervency that some communities of faith do, I typically use those forty days as a time of mental preparation to fix my focus on the incalculable brutality of the cross, the stillness of Saturday, and the magnitude of the resurrection. I try my best to feel and experience the realities of Easter before this sacred holiday becomes just another day gone-by on the calendar. 

But I have felt mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ill-prepared this year. 

I began to wonder what stole my attention from the one occasion that sets my faith apart from every other religion in the world. I could easily blame my failure to focus on a litany of things: 

  • The ongoing journey of post-transplant life, 
  • The never-ending COVID-19 pandemic that continues to affect us all, 
  • Or the normal ups and downs of life, like shifting relationships, work stress, or just plain busy-ness. 

Regardless of the unfortunate reality of all of those things, they all pale in comparison to the splendor of a King who willingly gave His life for a wretch like me. And this King would even know that I would one day be tempted to unassumingly breeze past the literal days on the calendar where we reflect on His sacrifice and ultimate triumph over death.  

How could I redeem what was left of this Lenten season? 

How could I fix my focus back on the only One who can bring clarity to the distorted distractions of this life? 

I am a firm believer that most of us are really good at treating the symptoms of our problems, rather than treating the problems themselves. While the litany of stressors above might sound like the main problems, they're not. They are only symptoms of what lies beneath.

When I stop and reflect on what emotion pilots the ship of all of those circumstances, fear is at the helm.


Fear of the unknown.

Fear of losing someone I love.

Fear of how people perceive me.

Fear of failure.

Fear of missing out.

So with this more acute diagnosis, how do I fix my focus? What is the prescribed treatment to fix my fears?

The only way to correct my nearsightedness is to adjust the center of my attention. I must take my focus off of myself, my fears, my circumstances, and place it on the One who kept His eyes fixed on His Father, in spite of His fears. 


The Garden of Gethsemane provides us with such a raw picture of Jesus' humanity. I can only imagine the intensity of what He was feeling and thinking. We are only afforded a snippet of true insight when we read the Gospel accounts of His garden pleas. We get words on a page, but I imagine those words are mere glimpses into the unimaginable anguish He was feeling inside.

In those few verses, we hear Him cry out to His Father for His circumstances to be miraculously different if at all possible, yet continuously yielding to God's sovereign will.  In those garden moments, He faced the reality of His impending torture and death, disappointment in His closest friends, and the eventual betrayal by a member of His inner circle. Luke graphically tells us that his anguish was so deep that his sweat was comparable to drops of blood (not coincidental that the doctor of the group would reveal such vivid details).

While I have felt like death has been crouching at our door for some time now, and I have had my fair share of disappointments, and even betrayal, by those I once walked closely with, I am able to adjust my focus to the magnitude of Christ's situation and how He chose to respond to His warranted fears. 

It's a bitter pill to swallow as I acknowledge that I haven't chosen to respond to my fears like Christ did, but medicine rarely tastes good going down. However, is almost therapeutic to simply recognize that He and I have something in common: 

FEAR HAS GRIPPED US BOTH.

So . . .


Will I choose to fix my focus on my Father or on my fears?

Will I prepare my heart for Easter by finding a garden where I can steal away for some raw and intentional quiet time with the Lord?

Will I let myself feel all the fears, yet walk in faith when I say "Amen?"

Will I entrust my fears not only to Him, but to those in my inner circle who may or may not choose to approach the throne of grace with them?

Lent might be almost over, but it's never too late to recognize the need to prepare your heart for Easter. Maybe you're like me and need to fix your focus. Maybe you need to diagnose the root of your distractions. And maybe if we all do this, we'll experience Easter in a fresh and more meaningful way this year. 

Let's echo David's cry and fix our eyes upward:

But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!
Psalm 141:8

 


Comments

  1. Oh I hear you! And yes this morning in my extended quiet time, wanting that “experience” with Him, the knowing felt conversation! Getting a few nuggets as I read but wanting more. But what I walked away with was He IS there, in my day and for me to look and listen throughout my day. Its part of conditioning my flesh on days when it’s quiet so on the much more hectic days It all comes more naturally........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lord! May I keep my eyes fixed on You, the author and finisher of my faith. Hebrews 12:2- “ Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin