Skip to main content

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power.


Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less self-serving . . .

~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharing coveted rations of food to faithful friends who offer up their hot showers and washing machines -- people have good hearts.

~ While I am a firm supporter of a myriad of Christian denominations, I am proud to be a Southern Baptist. When I looked out my parents' back window to the church across the way and saw those beautiful yellow shirts (NC Baptists on Mission), I was reminded that they were fixing to be Jesus to our hurricane-ravaged city. I personally think Jesus would have totally rocked a yellow shirt!  Thank you NC Baptists for loving on those of us in eastern NC who never expected to be the recipients of such kindness and generosity.


~ My husband is a hard worker and always concerned about the welfare of his family and for the church family he shepherds. While he would never want to be first in line for anything at church, his people felt led to bless him first as they started sending work crews out to help with hurricane clean-up.  What a blessing that was!  I am reminded once again that the local body of believers is a major source of comfort and support for our family.  I cannot imagine doing life without them.

~ There's no bad time for family time!  Hurricanes are no fun, but if it puts you under the same roof with 8 of your favorite people, bring it on!  I am reminded that family time needs to be prioritized so that rummy games and late night living room chats can happen without the need for a disastrous weather event.

~ As the winds blew and the waters began to rise, my thoughts frequently drifted to those people that I spend the majority of my time with (outside of my family).  My school family -- from staff to students -- holds a very special place in my heart.  While I was concerned with how our physical school buildings were holding up as Flo did her thing, my ultimate concern was for the safety and welfare of the greater LCA family.  I was reminded that common bonds are essential in this life.  I am so thankful that LCA is the common bond that ties me to my these people!

~ Lastly and most importantly, this hurricane was a great reminder of the power of God.  He is the mighty Maker, Creator, and Path-determiner of every weather event that ever has and ever will take place.  It didn't shock Him that a category 2 hurricane was what we received, not a category 4.  It was no surprise to Him that she came in as slow as a turtle and refused to leave like bad house guests.  It reminded me that I should stand in awe of His power and might during the seemingly calm and ordinary seasons, not just the turbulent ones.

I could go on and on . . . about the long-time, far-away friends who have sent countless messages, sent emails, or made phone calls to check on our welfare . . . about the neighbors who rally together to evacuate the community from the unpredicted, yet imposing flood waters . . . or about the sacrifice and heroism on the part of first responders and utility crews.  

You don't necessarily want to hear it, and quite frankly, I'm exhausted!  

Just hear my heart . . . 

We're overly blessed and God is way too good.

Comments

  1. It sure felt good to be one of those 8 that stood together as a family to weather the storm! Best hurricane family time ever!!! Each person pulled their weight in the scheme of things, tarp on roof, emptying buckets of water, plastic on ceiling, food preparation, generator duty, clean up..yard work!!! Thanks to my family for being there for us! Big thank you to the Lord and JOEMC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so so good! Love you girl, and not just because your Baptist!! Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is