Skip to main content

Doing Life at Breakneck Speeds

I recently vied for a coveted "Mom-of-the-Year" award when I took my tween daughter to a concert where her absolute favorite artist was performing.  Truth be told, my husband and I felt that the trip was well-deserved as she has sat back and graciously watched her brother receive a plethora of trips, gifts, and attention due to his sickness.  I wouldn't trade that special time with her for anything.  I was surrounded by thousands of young girls singing their hearts out about twiddling their thumbs and doing things on purpose -- just Google "Sabrina Carpenter" and you'll see what I'm talking about!



As we made our way to Charlotte that Friday afternoon, I wondered if my little fuel-sipping Prius was going to sprout wings and start to fly.  I was blown away by the breakneck speeds that people were driving down the interstate, giving no attention to speed limits, construction zones, or merging traffic.  To keep from getting run over, I felt the need to keep up with the mass of humanity heading west along Interstate-40 that day.

It was way too easy to get drafted into the speeds that everyone else was driving.  I didn't leave my house that day with the intentions of driving 90 85 80 mph.  Unfortunately, the environment around me set my pace.  The speed of those in neighboring lanes became the standard of what I decided to adjust my pace to.  I was merely doing what everyone else was doing.  To do anything else would have been ridiculous.  To do anything else would have gone against the flow.  To risk not sounding too "churchy", it would have been counter-cultural.



Isn't that the way life is?  We don't set out with the intentions of trying to keep up with everyone else, but before you know it, our lives are resembling an interstate highway on a Friday afternoon.  We unintentionally let the world tell us how many cars we need, how many hours we need to work, how many ball teams our kids need to be on, how many designer handbags we need.  And because we weren't intentional about being counter-cultural, we get sucked in every time.  We set our pace to the world's pace.  Unfortunately, the world's pace turns out to be futile most of the time.  The world's pace can often times be dangerous.

We try to make ourselves feel better by acknowledging that at least we're not driving as fast as the guy in the sports car that is dangerously weaving through traffic at speeds that clearly exceed 100 miles per hour.  That guy always makes us all feel a little better.  There's always "that guy" in each of our lives that we can compare ourselves to.  However, I don't think that's the One that we're supposed to hold the mirror of our lives up to.

I'm reminded of wise King Solomon and the words he was inspired to pen in Ecclesiastes:

Then I saw that all toil and all skill in work come from a man's envy of his neighbor. This also is vanity and a striving after wind. The fool folds his hands and eats his own flesh. Better is a handful of quietness than two hands full of toil and a striving after wind.
Ecclesiastes 4:4-6 (ESV)

I think if Solomon was a modern-day teacher, he would encourage us to sit back and take an assessment of the motives that drive us.  He would pass out a fill-in-the-blank test with a few short answer questions thrown in for good measure that would ask those difficult "why" questions that would convict our hearts about the amount of time we spend "striving after the wind."  Solomon was wise.  He would know that a multiple-choice test would be too easy for us to zip through and spend no time actually reflecting on these important things.    

You see, wise old Solomon had been there and done that in his own life.  He wrote from his own experiences.  His life had been preoccupied with doing more, amassing more, knowing more, but in the end, he realized it was all in vain.  He realized that through it all, the pursuit of God was the only thing that truly mattered.

Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 2:11 (ESV)

Once the sting of Solomon's assessment wore off, I think he would give us some pointers on navigating life's highway.  All of his pointers would center around this one concept:


Slow down in:
  • Your prayer time - Take time to listen more and talk less.
  • Your time in the Word - Meditate on it and let it soak in before you run off to the next thing.
  • Your worship - Let your heart actually listen to the words you're singing.  Let them speak to you, rather than you merely speaking them.
  • Your schedule - Prioritize the Sabbath and let the rest of your week build on it, instead of it being the other way around.
  • Your relationships - Look at people when they talk to you.  Read a book with your kids.  Schedule a date night with your spouse.  Have coffee with an old friend.
I, like Solomon, fail at these things quite frequently.  My prayer is that my little Prius begins to do a better job at making God-directed choices about how fast my life will be traveling.  I will risk being run over by the world for the assurance of knowing that God has been the one to set my speed. 

On this Labor Day, I pray that you will take an honest look at the motives behind your labor and who is determining the pace your life is driven.   If we're merely following the crowd and the pace they are setting, we have succumb to a mere striving after the wind.  That's not the way I want to live.  

I'll be praying for you, will you pray for me, too?








Comments

  1. Staci - I feel exactly the same when I'm traveling I40 in the wee hours of the morning! I recently read a book that made a couple of statements I had to stop and read again. The author said racing around working on checklists and running at breakneck speed, even for Godly purposes, does not make God love us more because He loves us so much already His love for us can't be increased. Would you agree? That's so counter to everything the world tells us it made me pause. I never want to be so busy that I don't have time for people.
    This weekend I was thinking about my parents and the compliments people keep giving me about them. I'm told - they are so faithful, they are so genuine, they are such good people, such good Christians. I was thinking back and I don't remember either of them doing what the world (and the church) would consider great and grand. In the church, as far as I can remember, they never led committees, ran organizations, or did the big front and center things. But they were always there, always serving in their quiet way, always giving and always there for their friends and family. Nice and slow and always constant.
    Thank you for such timely message. If September is the new January maybe it's the time for resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added - I know there is lots of work to be done in the world and in the church but, I don't think, God intended for us to get so overloaded we neglected Him on a personal level or the in real life people in front of us.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree, Kathy. The church is just as guilty as the world in this department. Unfortunately, many people in the church get works confused with service. I tend to think that "works" lends itself to being more fueled by doing what everyone else is doing and trying to make a spiritual statement. Whereas service is more humble and Spirit-led, much like your mom and dad have exemplified throughout their lives.

      Delete
  2. Something else I read lately that jolted me was that we, as Christians, are guilty of tacking the word "ministry" onto something that was really just a plain and simple act of kindness. Uh oh! I just did that recently myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin