Skip to main content

Life's Not Fair


“But the Lord has become my fortress and my God the rock in whom I take refuge.”  Psalm 94:22

About two months ago my sister and I were boarding an airplane to attend the funeral of my last living grandparent.  My dad’s mother had fought a long battle with cancer, but ultimately it was an unfortunate fall which produced a broken hip that she never was able to recover from. 
It was this mild mannered, unassuming Grandma that taught me all about fairness.  No one could have ever accused her of showing favoritism to either of her two children, nor her three grandchildren.  She was fair to a fault.  Isaac and Rebekah could have learned a lot from my Grandma and spared poor Jacob and Esau a lot of trouble!
As a child, I knew I could expect the mailman to deliver packages every December to our home with Christmas presents in it.  I also knew without reservation that the contents of my package would practically mirror in size, price, and quantity the contents of my sister’s package.  We would never be able to compare packages from Grandma and utter the annoying expression that kids often overuse,
“That’s not fair!”
What she modeled in life, she also modeled in death.  Each grandchild received a shoebox with identical contents that were personalized for the recipient.  Each box contained childhood pictures and cards from us that she had kept through the years, personal notes of memories she had with us, and a checkbook box (she never wasted anything!) that housed a financial gift of a unique, yet equal and fair amount.
However, no matter how good of a job my grandma did at modeling fairness to me while she was here, it didn’t take me very long at all to realize that Grandma might be fair, but life isn’t.
  • Too many children are born everyday into families that are wrought with abuse and neglect.
  • Innocent pedestrians and motorists are robbed of their lives at the hands of drunk drivers.
  • Some families are blessed with more children than they can afford to feed while other families go in debt just trying to conceive one child.
  • The richest country in the world is still the home to the hungry and the homeless.
  • Tornadoes seem to obliterate trailer parks, yet skip right over homes that could possibly withstand the fierce winds.
And the list could go on.
It makes you want to cry out in frustration and righteous anger and say,
“God, life’s just not fair.”
David echoed our sentiments in Psalm 94.  He looked around and was tired of seeing the wicked prosper and the poor oppressed.  He wasn’t even complaining about any personal injustices that affected him directly, but rather he was pleading on behalf of the people around him who were the recipients of cruelty and unfairness.
The first part of Psalm 94, David basically says, “Enough already, God.  Do you even care what’s going on down here.  It’s time for you to do something about all of this.”
Have you ever shared those same sentiments?  Has your heart ever been burdened for the lost, evil, and unfair world that we live in today? 
David ultimately was reminded, as we should be, that when all is said and done, the Lord’s justice will prevail.  He is a just and righteous God and evil will not go unpunished. It’s also on that day when all of life’s unanswered questions about why bad things seem to happen to those who least deserve it will be answered. 
Until that day, we have a choice to make while residing in this cruel and unfair world.  We must decide, as David did, if we will take refuge in God the rock.  God is fully aware of every good and evil thing that goes on around about us.  When you see the injustices of this world, rest in the God who created this world to make right all of the wrong one day.
Life might not be fair, but God is . . . and Grandma Jean!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin