Skip to main content

Shady Seasons of Life


 

I've added some additional titles to my name since my last blog.  In addition to wife, mom, aunt, friend, and Sunday School teacher, I am now a childhood cancer parent (will speak to this on a future blog), Christian school administrator, college student (again), and hold your horses...biker babe!  I say the "babe" part humorously, but the "biker" part is completely factual.  You can frequently find me perched on the back of my hubby's motorcycle, helmet-hair and all.  Here's a picture for proof:


I've come a long way since my first ride.  Every time we would pull out of the driveway, I was overwrought with paranoia that my kids would never see their parents alive again.  I was trying to be a good wife and support my husband's new hobby, so I knew I had to overcome my fears, or I'd miss out on some great one-on-one time with him.  Well, not only did my fears subside, they did a complete 180.  I now love to ride and I'm the one who's trying to schedule riding dates.....of course to places that are helmet-hair friendly!

Riding on the back of a motorcycle has made me aware of so many things that we miss in a car.  I see laz-y-boy recliners on humble, southern porches, hidden off-road graveyards, and unfortunately a plethora of animals that have had an untimely encounter with a motorized vehicle.  But my absolute favorite observation is the undeniable aroma of salt air as we cross over the bridge in the friendly little city by the sea (Swansboro, NC).  It makes me so thankful to live near the water and always causes me to sympathize for people who have never had the opportunity to take a whiff of that wonderful, God-crafted fragrance. 



One other profound observation I've made is the drastic change in temperature that can be felt while riding a motorcycle.  It blew my mind the first time I rode and we passed through a curve where the trees shadowed the road, thus causing the temperature to substantially drop for a brief moment.  It was like it came out of nowhere!  I didn't expect it and thought it would be nearly impossible for it to feel like a balmy 90 degrees in one spot, and then a brisk 65 degrees just a few feet away. 

Isn't that the way life is?  You're cruising along and everything seems great and then out of the blue you find yourself in a shady season of life.  You might have had miles and miles of what appeared to be sunny days and you couldn't see the cold, dark curve that was looming ahead.  Then . . .

You're there and you're not even sure how or why you got there.  There wasn't a major traumatic event that brought you there.  There wasn't a precursory scare at the doctor's office or even a hiccup in your marriage or employment.  It was like an uninvited slap in the face.

If we're honest, we've all had shady seasons.  Those times when gloom overshadows joy.  When pessimism takes the place of optimism.  When the glass is half empty, but you're not sure who drank the top half.  



Can I give you some hope?  


We're not alone.  We are in the company of some of the great Bible giants.  Take a look at some of the heroes of the faith that found themselves in unwanted shady seasons of life:
  • The prophet Elijah experienced the magnificence and miraculous power of God by seeing fire brought down from heaven on Mt. Carmel, yet he very quickly found himself under a bush saying "I have had enough, Lord,"  (1 Kings 19:4, NIV).
  • Jeremiah, another prophet, was actively and obediently serving the Lord.  He was walking out the calling on his life, and it got him down.  He lamented, "Why did I ever come out of the womb to see trouble and sorrow and to end my days in shame?" (Jeremiah 20:18).
  • And David, my favorite, was known as a man after God's heart, as God's chosen and anointed to lead Israel, yet he encountered the shady seasons of life when he uttered, "How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?" (Psalm 13:2).
Let's hang out with David for a moment.  One of the reasons I love the Psalms so much is because they transcend time and are so representative of life -- a yo-yo of emotions.  One minute David is singing God's praises for being his rock and his deliverer, then the next minute he's questioning if God has forgotten all about him. 

The funny thing about David, though, is that he can't escape that still small voice in his head.  He'll moan and groan for a little bit, but then he reminds himself of what he has to do while strolling through the dark patch.  Look what we find just three short verses after his previous lament:

"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  I will sing to the Lord for he has been good to me."  
Psalm 13:5-6

There's one important thing we need to notice . . .

David started singing before it ever got sunny.  

He purposed to sing and rejoice while walking through the shady season.  Can I tell you how hard that can be?  It's so hard that it has to be a conscious, premeditated decision that, come what may, I will praise God because He has been so good to me.  I will praise Him because my salvation is reason enough to offer praise.  I will praise Him because He never has and never will fail me.

Who knows?  Maybe David had the prescription to enduring the shade.  Notice I didn't say that he had the prescription for curing the shade, but for enduring it.  Praising God won't make the dark times go away, but they will make them easier to walk through.

If you've suddenly and unexpectedly found yourself in one of life's shady seasons, commit with me to praise through it.  May your shady season not resemble the climate of your worship.  Perhaps your worship will be even stronger in this season as you learn to fully and steadfastly trust in Him.

However, if you're strolling along, with the sun beating down on your face, go ahead and prepare now for how you will respond once your shady season comes.  Ask God to put the song in your heart that will provide comfort and peace when you pass through that unexpected time of darkness.  Get your journal ready to count your blessings, beginning with your salvation. 

And once you do that, take a leisurely ride and let the wind blow through your hair and see what God will show you on a simple stroll through the winding roads of life.  But be ready, the shady seasons come quickly and without forewarning.  They could be just around the corner. 

Comments

  1. Great perspective! Wouldn't be surprised if Jody doesn't take this and make a sermon out of it. Who knows, I might even do the same!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love my kids, BUT. . . .

"Schoolhouse Rock" was one of mine and my husband's favorite educational past times.  Bob Dorough, writer for "Schoolhosue Rock," was a genius when he put educational factoids to quirky music and cute cartoons.  From the preamble to the Constitution, to parts of speech, multiplication facts, how electricity works, and much more, Mr. Dorough slyly disguised learning and actually made it fun! Like all good parents, we passed this educational relic on to our kids.  One of our favorite songs from "Schoolhouse Rock" is without a doubt " Conjunction Junction ."  Its jazzy rhythm easily gets stuck in your head for the rest of your day ( sorry in advance! ).  This song teaches how conjunctions mechanically work in a sentence and what their purpose is.  The conjunction 'BUT' is one that we use all the time to connect two sentences or a clause to a sentence. "I like pizza,  BUT  I don't like olives on it." "I want to

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite personalities in Scripture is

Ponderings from Flo

As I take the last bite of a pint of Blue Bell ice cream (which by the way was the best ice cream that ever landed in my mouth - see picture below for the flavor), so many thoughts about the past week flood my mind.  The first was rather insignificant -- I realized that I have never eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting before tonight!  Ice cream is always my go-to comfort food, but I didn't realize how badly my body expected that physical treat during times of distress!  You never know how much you want something until you can't have it -- and ice cream clearly doesn't last when left in a freezer for five days without power. Perhaps my other ponderings will be more reflective and less  self-serving  . . . ~ The goodness and benevolence of people’s hearts is always a refreshing breath of fresh air during natural disasters. In our typical world of self-centeredness, times like these remind me that there is good in everyone.  From neighbors sharin