Skip to main content

Preparing for Planting

"But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it.  He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty, or thirty times what was sown."  Matt. 13:23

I love this time of the year.  I love the the smell of fresh dirt being turned over as the local farmers plow their rows.  I love looking out practically any window of my house and seeing new life spring up in the fields that surround our home.  I gladly welcome all that springtime has to offer . . . pollen and all!

I love to see the farmers in our area produce a bountiful crop.  I love it when God provides the right amounts of rain at just the right times and then their crops flourish.  I so admire the diligence of a farmer to do whatever it takes to bring forth a crop that he can be proud of.

For most of us, we have seeds sown into us many times a week.  Based on how often your participate in corporate worship, small group Bible studies, or in personal quiet times in the Word, we have many opportunities to have God's Word planted into our hearts and lives.

As Jesus told the parable of the sower to the crowds that were gathered around him, He was trying to get them to realize that getting the Word into your ears is one thing, but letting the Word get into your life is another. 

This parable is recorded in three of the four Gospel accounts.  Listen to some of the things that Luke attributes as to why the Word doesn't get into the life of some hearers (8:14):
  • Worries of Life
  • Riches
  • Pleasures
  • Lack of Maturity  
As my husband stands in the pulpit each Sunday to preach God's Word, He does so knowing that many sets of ears are hearing it proclaimed yet a large percentage of them will never let it soak into their lives.  They are too consumed with worries, riches, or pleasures to have the Word of God take root in their heart. 

I have such a desire to see Christians grow in their spiritual maturity.  Unfortunately what I tend to see are many Christians who are content with having their ears tickled with a feel-good sermon or a Bible study that deals with relational or spiritual matters that barely get below the surface.  Where practical messages are needed at times, so are the studies and messages that challenge you to dig in a little deeper and get beyond just scratching the surface of God's Word.

So, how's the soil of your heart?  Is it good soil that receives the Word and retains it?  Or, do you retain it for a moment, only to lose it once trials or negative circumstances come your way?

Has your life produced fruit as a result of your study of God's Word?  Can you truly say that you are growing in your spiritual maturity?  Are you moving forwards or backwards in your walk with the Lord?

Take some time to search your heart today.  I guarantee that your pastor and Sunday School teacher have a burning desire to see God's Word take root in your life.  But more importantly, God Himself is patiently watching and waiting for you to prepare your heart for planting.  He so strongly desires to see your faith mature and produce a crop that will glorify Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...