Skip to main content

How Can I Pray for You?

Every so often a specific subject or spiritual discipline will seem to place itself front and center on my mind.  I'll think about it multiple times throughout the day and it seems to occupy much of my conversation with my husband, who is my God-given sounding board for all of my heart's obsessions!

Recently, the subject that's been on the forefront of my heart is prayer.  It's been so strong that I've even contemplated writing a more in-depth Bible Study where I could delve in the discipline of prayer in a greater fashion, but for now I'll tackle the subject right here!

The specific aspect of prayer that I want us to ponder today is intercession.  If you're new to the faith or if this is a word that you've never heard before, let me explain it for you.  Intercession is the opportunity in your prayer life when you get the privilege of lifting the needs or concerns of someone else before God's throne.

Perhaps this aspect of prayer seems to be heavy on my heart right now because there was a time whenever I felt as if my personal burdens were so heavy that I couldn't muster up enough strength and selflessness to pray for someone else's needs. 

Thankfully, during those dark times, many intercessory prayers were offered on my behalf.  It was those prayers that my friends and family lifted up to our merciful and loving God that allowed my weak spirit to be restored to fullness of life.  It was because of their prayers that I have the opportunity to return the favor to others.

Unfortunately, because of our fallen and selfish nature, the practice of intercessory prayer is something that we have to be deliberate about.  It seems to be more natural to unload our personal requests before God, but to lift up the needs of others to God takes intentionality.

Intercessory prayer is truly a gift that you can give someone with or without even knowing what the specific need in their life is.  Consider these examples:
  • You see a young mother struggling to maintain her composure as she deals with her boisterous and out of control toddler in the grocery store . . . an instant opportunity for intercessory prayer.
  • You see someone you might not even know very well at church bowing at the altar to pray . . . an opportunity for intercessory prayer on their behalf.
  • You hear that a friend or co-worker's marriage is on the rocks  . . . an opportunity for intercessory prayer.
  • Your normally perky coffee barista or sales clerk has a noticeably down-trodden appearance . .  . you have been given an opportunity for intercessory prayer.
They are all around us!  If you spend much time in the public arena, you could literally be praying for people all day long if you allowed yourself! 

Sometimes you will be asked by someone to pray for them, but what shows an even greater sign of spiritual maturity is when you recognize there is a need for prayer even before you've been asked to pray.  However, if someone humbles themselves and shares their need for your prayers, you've been given the opportunity to usher their needs before God's throne which is a beautiful privilege.

So, who are some people that you could intentionally offer up some intercessory prayers for?

Are there family members or co-workers that have special needs in their life at this moment?

And, most importantly, who do you know that is lost and living a life without Christ that needs to be prayed to the cross?

I hope you will make the commitment to make intercessory prayer a part of your daily prayer life.  Perhaps you need to jot down some names down near your Bible so that you'll be reminded to take that special time to lift up the needs of those around you.  Perhaps you need to deliberately ask people, "How can I pray for you today?".

However, if you've read all of this and felt as if you're more in need of intercessory prayer on your behalf than you feel capable of offering prayers for others, then take comfort in this truth.  Scripture very beautifully tells us that we have someone interceding on our behalf even when we think no one is. 

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."  Romans 8:26

You and I are the recipient of the prayers of the Spirit when our hearts are so heavy that we don't even know where to begin.  How much more gracious could our God be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...