Skip to main content

Sympathy's Transformation

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."    Psalm 119:71

The word "compassion" has been popping up everywhere I turn lately.  From devotions I've read, to my Sunday School lesson, and then my favorite was getting to share the meaning of the word with my children at a funeral service recently. 

My son wondered why I was on the hunt for tissues prior to the service since I wasn't close to the person who had passed away.  I was then able to explain to him that once you've experienced sorrow and grief firsthand, your heart is able to feel compassion for people who are hurting, even if you don't know them very well.  This is what I've always called sympathy transformed into empathy.

If you've ever wondered what the difference between sympathy and empathy is, here's a very simple explanation.  Sympathy is the desire to share in someone's pain.  Empathy is the desire to share in their pain because you've been through what they are going through.  Empathy is being able to clearly identify with someone's sorrow, grief, or affliction. 

Both sentiments can produce compassion in your heart, but from my personal experience, compassion is more naturally produced following your own personal pain.  Compassion is when you have feelings of sympathy or empathy, accompanied by the desire to alleviate someone's pain.  When you have experienced affliction, you tend to be more capable of feeling compassion towards people who are walking down a path that you have previously strolled.

The psalmist says that the afflictions he experienced in his life were worth going through because they provided him an education in the ways of the Lord.  I can't help but think that one of the lessons he learned through his afflictions was one of compassion.  If we allow Him, God can use every trial we go through to teach us, mold us, or equip us to be used by Him.
  • If you've lost a spouse, parent, or child, you can be used to very appropriately minister to someone who is grieving over the passing of their loved one.
  • If you've experienced cancer, a car accident, or a house fire, you now have empathy towards someone who goes through that trial.
  • If you've gone through a divorce or dealt with a prodigal child, God has equipped you to reach out to those who are taking their first steps on that journey.
Whatever the situation was that transformed your sympathy into empathy, you have the opportunity to extend first hand compassion.  Your trials do not have to be for naught. Let something good come out of something bad.

For me, the death of an aunt and the loss of a baby provided me with an education that I could have never learned in any classroom on the planet.  I've better learned what to say, what not to say, and when to say nothing at all because tears are more appreciated than words.

Have you had an unfortunate, yet meaningful lesson in the area of compassion?  What trials have you gone through so that you can be used in the ministry of compassion for others?  Have you taken the opportunity to thank God for the valleys that He's brought you through and what He taught you along the way?

Never let a trial go to waste.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...