Skip to main content

Lessons in the Game of Life

My husband and I were blessed by someone and was afforded the opportunity to go off this past weekend to watch his favorite college team engage in a well-played game of basketball (Go Heels!).  Let me just say that college basketball is crazy!  I have never seen so many people act in a way that is probably so unlike their normal everyday character, all in the name of being a loyal fan.

While watching the game and attempting to take all of the madness into my feeble brain, I was taking in more truths than the athletes realized they were dishing out.  I was reminded of how similar the game of basketball is to the game of life.  I literally came up with way too many comparisons to expound upon in one post (perhaps I'll come back to some of them at a future date), so I'll only focus on a couple today. 

Here are my observations of how life is like a basketball game:
  • You only have so many minutes to play, then the game is over. -- no second chances.
  • We often come out strong and lose stamina by the end.
  • Sometimes we're just killing time and not taking any shots (risks).
  • In some environments, you're going to be the "Home Team" -- cheers and encouragement.  Sometimes you're the "Visiting Team" -- Not appreciated, few supporters, harder game to play.
  • Sometimes you've gotta take a time-out -- regroup, get some advice, then get back at it.
  • The Holy Spirit is the referee of a believer's life.
  • Sometimes we rationalize a foul (sin) -- because the end seems to justify the means.
In most any competitive sport, the referee can be one of the most loved and hated participants in the game, sometimes simultaneously.  They have to make the tough calls.  They have to call out even the most popular players in order to enforce rules and ensure that the game is played in a respectable fashion.

One of the easiest ways to understand the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer is to view it in comparison to a referee.  He is there to bring my fouls (sins) to my attention.  I don't always appreciate some of the calls He makes, but they are always fair and they are always needed. 

He's making calls in my life in an effort to refine me and make me look like Jesus.  You see, on my own, I'm incapable of producing righteousness in my own life.

"There is no one righteous, no not even one."  Romans 3:10

Whereas a referee's calls are denoted with the blow of a whistle, many times the Holy Spirit chooses to make calls in my life ever so gently.  It's that soft voice in my ear or the thumping of my heart that calls my actions or thoughts into check.

You see, the Holy Spirit isn't something to resent.  He should be something we totally embrace because his presence in our life is truly a gift from God.
 
"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever -- the Spirit of truth.  The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him.  But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." 
John 14:16-17

The other part of the game of basketball that has always perplexed me is when the players choose to commit a foul on purpose.  The point of this can be to stop the clock or to prevent an easy basket from being made.  They choose to commit a foul because the end justifies the means, right?

Well, how many times have you and I made choices out of the rationale that the end justified the means?  
  • The little "white" lie you told to keep out of trouble
  • The credit card purchase that you couldn't afford because the item was on sale
  • Going to the bar or party just to fit in with the crowd
However you and I choose to justify our poor choices, the bottom line is that in the life of a believer, a foul is a foul.  Thankfully, our fouls can be forgiven.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  
1 John 1:9 
 
I am so grateful for this game of life that God has allowed me to play in.  He has blessed me with an amazing team (brothers and sisters in Christ) and He is the best coach you could ask for. 
 
Perhaps the Holy Spirit has been calling out the fouls in your life and you've not faced the reality of those sins.  Humbly bring them before a forgiving God today.  He is ready and waiting to clean the slate and cheer you on throughout this game called life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Mask Off

If I’ve learned anything over the last few weeks of wearing masks when going out in public, it’s that wearing a mask makes it hard to breathe.   The trapped air recirculating in and out gets thick and burdensome. The same is true for the invisible mask I wear on the days that I’m trying to hide the reality of what’s going on below the surface.   There comes a point when the air that has gotten trapped between my invisible mask and my unfortunate reality gets so heavy that ripping it off and gasping for a dose of fresh, life-giving oxygen is the only remedy.   ( Cue the proverbial mask selfie that everyone has had to take during quarantine. ) I think many of us frequently wear a mask, intentionally or unintentionally, to hide the reality of what’s underneath. We mask up to present a façade. A watered-down version of the true us. A suffocating misrepresentation of our current existence.  We’re all guilty.  One of my favorite person...

Definitely Not Anti-Climactic

I can honestly say that I was dead wrong. I stated that the actual process of bone marrow transplant was expected to be uneventful and anti-climactic.  Let me stand corrected in saying that there is nothing anti-climactic about watching another person's cells being pushed through your child’s central line. Cells that are intended to train his body not to make leukemic cells anymore. Cells that could be accepted or rejected. Cells that were selflessly harvested from a complete stranger and shipped across the ocean. Cells that will become a part of his body and provide him with brand new DNA.  Nope. Nothing anti-climactic about that. In fact, I found myself moved to tears frequently throughout the day. I watched my child lie there with the energy to do nothing but receive. He received the gift that was being granted to him. He received the new cells, the new life.  Tears wou ld  flow for a mult itude of  reasons . From reports of a sweet 3rd grade student telling ...

My Local Samaria

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  Acts 1:8b My heart gets convicted whenever I think of all of the places I avoid in an attempt to shelter my children from excessive exposure to the sin that is so prevalent in our society today.  In our little town, you don't have to go much further than the local shopping mall on payday weekend to get an earful or an eyeful of various behaviors that will make a good Christian girl shudder! You see, that's the problem.  I'm not necessarily trying to shield my children.  I'm ashamed to say that I avoid those people and places because they make me feel uncomfortable.  Should my exposure to people who don't act or look like me make me feel so uncomfortable that I bypass an opportunity to shed a little light into the dark places of the world? ABSOLUTELY NOT. John tells us in his account of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the we...